What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving a kit (RV-10)??

mbishop

Well Known Member
I am about to pull the trigger on obtaining a previously started RV10 kit, but I can't figure out where to rent a 16' trailer to be able to move this kit to Tampa.

Anyone have some advice? I've been doing Google / Yellow Page searches all day.

Figuring out how to move it is the only thing holding me back. I'd really like to not have to rent a moving truck for a 800 mile drive.

Also, it is just the completed emp and non-started wings.

car hauler?

I was able to move my 10 kit in a 24 foot car hauler plus the space available in my half-ton pickup short bed, and this was a nearly completed fuse plus completed emp, wings and control surfaces, and the finish kit. There wasn't much spare room, but it fit well and securely.

I did the same search you did, and almost went with a lift-gate box truck. It would have been real overkill and very pricey. Two people loaded my kit easily using the drop-down ramp on the trailer.

I ended up renting a 24 foot enclosed car hauler from a local towing company (mom&pop operation) for $0.2 AMU's and towing it behind my Ram. No issues, even in very mountainous West Virginia. Gas mileage suffered, but we didn't. See pics in my thread "An Unforeseen Journey" here in VAF.

Good luck. Don't overthink this :D

-Stormy

I'd ship it. If the wings are still in a box it shouldnt be too much, certainly cheaper than a truck. I shipped my wings to hawaii on a boat and it was about 600 from the mainland.

I think you'd be surprised how cheap shipping is, especially with cheap gas prices right now.

I am about to pull the trigger on obtaining a previously started RV10 kit, but I can't figure out where to rent a 16' trailer to be able to move this kit to Tampa.

Anyone have some advice? I've been doing Google / Yellow Page searches all day.

Figuring out how to move it is the only thing holding me back. I'd really like to not have to rent a moving truck for a 800 mile drive.

Also, it is just the completed emp and non-started wings.

Uship is a great source. I ended up picking mine up myself for other reasons and price was not one of them. Try "Uship".

truck instead?

I used a 16' bed Penske rental truck. Pretty easy to drive (easier than a long trailer I imagine!) 14 hours from New York to Illinois (with a blizzard!).

Not a scratch!

We moved my sons RV7 from Virginia to Oklahoma in a 24' Uhaul truck. Wrapped the tail feathers, horizontal and vertical stabs in bubble wrap. Wing ribs and other small parts got boxed up, rest of the wing parts stayed in the 15' box. Engine was on a cradle. Found the Uhaul was better than Penske due to the lower deck height.

I moved an entire -8 QB in a 12' uHaul box trailer. It hung out the back but actually worked great. Boxes went in the truck bed. Also moved a -6 QB using a 20' box truck from uHaul. Had to remove the engine mount and stinger to make it fit. If it's still boxed, don't over think it. Strap the completed pieces vertically, well padded.

Around here UHaul has the small box trailers. Penske has open car haulers. I wouldn't be afraid of using either.

I bought a 16'x7', 2 axle open car hauler for about $2000 - new. It may be a better deal to just buy a trailer, move the kit, then sell it of keep it for the move to the hangar when you are finishing up.

All good ideas.

I am thinking about driving to where I am picking the kit up, renting a truck and towing my Jeep behind it.

Back