What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A dumb question !

dlawrence

I'm New Here
The Preflight Inspection in the POH has an item for each wing and empannage that confuses me. "Tie-down--REMOVE eyelet" for the wings and "UNTIE RESTRAINT from eyelet" for the empannage. What is an eyelet?
I consider all three tie-downs to be eye-bolts, and if tethered on a ramp remove the tie-down ropes/lines (restraints?) from them but do not remove the eye-bolts....???

I think they're referring to the eye-bolts. Just using slightly different terminology.

I leave mine in all the time. On an RV12 the drag is not significant! Prime them at least - they will rust. Spray them with some LPS or other light lube when you put them in. I made some "washers" with cut electrical tape so that when they are snugged up against the painted skin they do not scrape.

I leave mine in all the time. ...
That may not be such a good idea. If the -12 is like the other RV's, the steel eyelet in an aluminum fitting will eventually cause corrosion. A friend with a -10 has left his in and can no longer remove them. The question is, how long until the corrosion destroys the aileron bell crank bracket?

There is no aileron bell crank to destroy. I had my tie down rings chrome plated, but still get a little rust due to chains wearing through the plating layer. I remove them at annual and insert a 3/8" bolt to use as a Jack point for checking brakes and repacking wheel bearings one side at a time.

I had mine painted with the airplane. I carry my own tie-down straps - they are ratcheting straps with a rubber-type coating on the hooks. Light, easy, and the hooks don't damage the paint on the eye bolts.

I had mine painted with the airplane. I carry my own tie-down straps - they are ratcheting straps with a rubber-type coating on the hooks. Light, easy, and the hooks don't damage the paint on the eye bolts.

You might want to think about replacing the hooks with carabiners, like this.

The reason is that in strong winds your airplane may start to bounce and if it does, one (or more) may come off. That and I don't have to over tighten the straps with the 'biners.

Using racheting straps looks inviting. What is the recommended strength for a normal tiedown?? Anyone know?

You might want to think about replacing the hooks with carabiners, like this.

The reason is that in strong winds your airplane may start to bounce and if it does, one (or more) may come off. That and I don't have to over tighten the straps with the 'biners.
I like that!

Did some research..... the FAA and CAP recommend a minimum tensile strength of 3000 lbs. (Would be LARGE ratcheting straps!)

I use these:
i-hB6FCjV-L.jpg

Master Lock 3061DAT Tie Downs with retaining clips. They can't slip off the eyebolts or the ground straps. Rated at 1600 lbs which seems enough for a 750 lb airplane. I found them on Amazon but now listed as no-longer-available, so I am not including the link.
I also have the traditional rope ties in case I am going to leave the airplane someplace where there are hurricanes...not likely.

Back