What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

796 panel install and one issue

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Installed the 796 in my panel in place of panel mounted 496, used the exiting 496 Gizmo horizontal mount with a new plate for the 796 connector (picked the 796 in part as it has landscape mode like the 496)
https://picasaweb.google.com/dbfiggins/UKFigsRV7Blog#5783281648394018914

Flew today and the location works very well, some glare from the reflective screen which I will try to improve with a cut down ipad anti glare screen protector, but very readable even with the sun behind and on the screen. Viewing angle could be improved a bit by about 10 degrees to make it 90 degrees to my eyepoint which would make it a little better.
Touch screen works very well, very intuitive and well thought out.

Only issue I had is with the TT ADI II A/P, the RS232 link seems to work fine and drives the SL30 standby frequency but for some reason the A/P GPS guidance seemed to hunt a bit and kept dropping out (alt hold and track hold were fine). When the A/P mode dropped out the track would show a zero and then a couple of seconds later the actual track would appear.
I am using serial port 1 on the 796 with the data mode set to NEMA and VHF Out and FAST transfer.
Any input about the likely cause would be appreciated, A/P was solid with the 496 and I have hooked the 796 up the same way.

Overall though I am very impressed, waiting for the bare wire cable to hook up the GDL39 to get traffic which should make the system even better.

Try the normal NMEA mode. Instead of fast.

That is all I run since my Dynon requires it. Not sure about TT.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware. Even if it is a new unit, it might be behind.

Mine has been rock solid.

Last edited:
Brantel
Thanks I will try, didnt think to check the Dynon functionality:( probably would have given me a clue.
Have you tried to use the Garmin checklist editor? I input a bunch of data but I get an error message that the file is not saved as a valid .ace file and the 796 does not recognize that checklists are installed on the SD card

496 Gizmo horizontal mount

Could you post a picture how you modified the 496 Gizmo horizontal mount to accept the 796.
Thanks

Checklists

Brantel
Have you tried to use the Garmin checklist editor? I input a bunch of data but I get an error message that the file is not saved as a valid .ace file and the 796 does not recognize that checklists are installed on the SD card

Hi Dave,

I took the checklist file I use on my G3X and put it on the Aera 796 and it works fine. It wasn't clear from your posting if you were able to create a checklist file.

If you want to send an email with some additional information I will see if I can help. I could provide a test file if you like, or take a look at your file if one was created.

Thanks,
Steve

Checklists

Finally got the checklist editor to work, for some reason the saved files were not recognized as .ace files. I uninstalled the editor, cleaned out any references and redownloaded and reinstalled and now the checklists save correctly and work in the 796. Running Win 7 64bit on the desktop.

For Gerald next time I am at the hanger I will take a picture of the bracket but basically the Gizmo angle mount itself is not modified, I made a plate that fits where the 496 mount fit and bolted the 796 bare wire mount to it.

For Steve, any idea when the 796 B/T GDL39 update will be released?

Back