What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Care and maint. questions

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
In my RV6A I use a Concorde RG-25XC. After a couple years it seems to get weak and I replace it.

I usually fly about 50-80 hours a year about 25 of that is to and from OSH. The other flying is usually once a week or every other week for an hour or two with occassional periods of up to four weeks without flying due to travel.

Under these conditions does anybody recommend using a constant trickle charger on the battery between flights even with a new battery?

My battery life has typically been 5-7 years. I began using a "battery maintainer" and battery life went down to about 2 years. My battery manufacturer, PowerSonic, recommended only using the maintainer when the aircraft will sit for extended periods.

My builder installed an Odyessey battery and wired in a connector for the Delran Battery tender. It is a smart charger and will shut down when the battery is charged to peak. I imagine it worked better for him than me because he wasn't able to fly as much as I am. I havent used the "tender" yet but just bought one because the cold winter months will surely have the plane idle for extended periods.

battery life

My battery life has typically been 5-7 years. I began using a "battery maintainer" and battery life went down to about 2 years. My battery manufacturer, PowerSonic, recommended only using the maintainer when the aircraft will sit for extended periods.

hello mel: what model and/or ah rating on your power sonic battery?

I use the PowerSonic 35ah (PS-12350) battery. It's on the heavy side (27lbs), but the RV-6 as originally designed needs the weight.

Last edited:
Back