What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LEXEL Question

Gerald Clabots

After searching the archives for something to use as a fillet between the rear canopy skirt (slider) and the plexi I found some references to use Lexel caulk as it is not suppose to affect the plaxiglass. I also notice on the lexel it says can be painted with latex paint.
Has anyone out there used this product on there canopy,if so did you paint it?
And did it take the paint OK.
Thanks
Gerry 70188

Lexel & Canopies

My current a/c is a Kitfox 5 with "bubble" doors mounted with ss screws to the door frames. The nutserts I used in the frames are a very loose fit thread & I kept on loosing screws until I used Lexel as a screw locker a couple of years ago.

No crazing, cracking or any damage around the screw holes in the 250+ hours since.

While not quite the same application, following my experience I would be quite comfortable using lexel as a non-structural canopy sealant.

FWIW

John Moody
RV-8A #82025

Gerry,

I used Lexel as a sealant around the canopy and it works well. I recommend that you do not use it as a caulk. You can't really tool it to shape, it's like thick snot. If you have big gaps, consider an epoxy filler such as you will use to install the windshield. Paints used on metal aircraft are not latex.

John Siebold

Back