What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb heat

Ted Farmin

Well Known Member
Living in North Idaho I am concerned about carb ice as our temp. is usually
about the optimum 60* (LOL) anyway I have Van's tube carb. heater and
it doesn't look like it will provide much heat. Also it seems that I have read
where that unit doesn't do a very good job. Has anyone used this while monitoring
carb. temp and if so what temps have you indicated. For those of you that
have the same feeling that I have what have you done for a carb. heat muff.
Ted

Ted:

I shared your concern regarding the efficiency of the carb heat muff as supplied from Van's.

I changed mine out to one that I got from Wicks. Part number EC100-020. Was very easy to install.

Regards,

I, too am using the Wicks heat muff (15 minute install).

My testing has shown a 5 to 10 degree temperature rise when carb heat (induction heat) is selected.

In general, I don't need it much, but yesterday at 9500 feet I got a carb temp alarm, and the applied carb heat. OAT was about 6 degrees F. Other pilots were reporting rime icing in cloud at similar altitudes.

Temperature rose immediately by about 10 degrees.

Is this enough? It was for me in this situation, but who knows? The way the induction heating system works in the RV's is a lot different than certified aircraft.

Just make sure you have a carb temp probe.

vlittle said:

My testing has shown a 5 to 10 degree temperature rise when carb heat (induction heat) is selected.

In general, I don't need it much, but yesterday at 9500 feet I got a carb temp alarm, and the applied carb heat. OAT was about 6 degrees F. Other pilots were reporting rime icing in cloud at similar altitudes.

Is this enough? It was for me in this situation, but who knows? The way the induction heating system works in the RV's is a lot different than certified aircraft.

certified aircraft need to have a 90deg rise when carb heat applied. We too are looking for a good carb heat source.

I have the Van's muff on my -4...forget it. I also have a carb temp probe and it verifies what I suspected when I installed the thing. Maybe a 1 degree rise.

Find another option and don't waste your time and money on the cheapo.

Jeff

Hot and cold.

jhallrv4 said:
I have the Van's muff on my -4...forget it. I also have a carb temp probe and it verifies what I suspected when I installed the thing. Maybe a 1 degree rise.

Find another option and don't waste your time and money on the cheapo.

Jeff
One degree!!! ONE that sucks :eek: Is that with just sucking air from cowl or is that with the stove pipe riser off the cross over pipe?

vlittle said:

Agree a Carb Air Temp gauge is a good thing. I am a little dissapointed, 10F rise sounds low. I firgure at min you might like 40F to 60F or more, but the good news is: one) it was 6F outside, two) the chance of carb ice at 6F, outside visable mosture, is slim. Real cold conditions below 30F, especially below 20F, is less prone to carb ice, because there's less mosture held in cold air. Your muff has to be better than Van's, even at 10F. Production planes I recall have large heat muffs and usually wrap around two pipes or are part of the muffler system.

If you want REAL carb heat, besides using a large heat muff, you can improve the heat available with Aircraft Exhaust technologies heat studs. They weld studs onto any 321 SS pipe. In fact they will make a whole custom heat muff if you like. They have complete exhaust systems as well. http://www.aircraftexhaust.net/

n468ac said:
certified aircraft need to have a 90deg rise when carb heat applied. We too are looking for a good carb heat source.
Correct 90F rise at 75% power per FAR part 23.1093. There is a thread on the JamesAircraft yahoo group on carb ice and Van's heat right now.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JamesAircraft/

You can use anti-ice aditives in the fuel:
http://www.sacskyranch.com/crbice.htm

George

Last edited:
Back