What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Slider Lock Question

Gerald Clabots

I am thinking of installing the lock that comes with the ignition switch.
looking for any suggestion for installin the lock in the canopy skirt.Would hate to mess up the skirt at this stage of the game.
Best location anything to watch out for.
Thanks in advance
Gerry 7A

I have decided not to put a lock on mine. The reason is the time and effort in building the canopy and thinking if a would be thief wanted to steal anything I would rather have him open it up and take it than to break my canopy. I am going to get a canopy cover from Cleveland tools. Any thoughts on to (lock or not to lock)

jim

Gerald Clabots said:
I am thinking of installing the lock that comes with the ignition switch.
looking for any suggestion for installin the lock in the canopy skirt.Would hate to mess up the skirt at this stage of the game.
Best location anything to watch out for.
Thanks in advance
Gerry 7A
Installing the lock that comes with the ignition switch is fairly simple. Some builders cut an extra slot so the canopy can be locked open a few inches to allow heat to escape while parked at fly-ins etc.

img0010307qb.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Sliding canopy lock

I just installed one of Van's new slider locks.
I was incredibly easy...just drill a hole in the slider rear track.
The unit even comes with a drill guide.

Sliding Canopy Lock
Part Number = CA CANOPY LOCK
Price = $100.00

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...21-234-30&browse=airframe&product=canopy-lock

I also cut the nylon block into two pieces.
Use one to close the canopy all of the way.
Use both pieces to have it in the vent position.

Seems to work pretty well.
Ease of install was important (even though I've proved I can build an airplane!).

Quality of the parts is pretty good.
I'm happy with it!

I would post a pic but I'm at work and can't get to the plane (it's about 900 miles away!).

Back