What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl prep (pinholes) & camloc install - which first?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
Will mounting camloc studs in the cowl now, make it more difficult to fill the pinholes later on?

In other words, should I do all the filling and sanding (at least where the camloc's go) before installing the studs?

Camlocs

It's easy to hold the cowl together with clecos until final painting is done, then install camlocks.

Neither right or wrong, I did the pinhole filling first, then drilled for c-locs. I did need to remove the c-locs when I did some painting, and they are somewhat a pain to remove the snap ring (there's propbably a trick that I missed). Easy to go back on, though. I just think it's easier to do the bulk of the pinhole filling and sanding up front.

jim

I'm at this stage on my 8...I went ahead and drilled for the camlocs since I wanted to have the cowling in its final position to determine the filling required.

I just used the studs with the gromets and didn't put the lock rings on. This means that the studs fall out when I take the cowl off and I have to reinset the studs when putting the cowl on.

Thus, with the cowl off and studs out, I can easily fill and sand...

Deene, great idea not putting on the lock rings since that was the real concern.

Gerry Clabots

I used some rubber o-rings to hold the fastners in place, Only put the metal clips on after the cowl was painted. I painted before flying.
I went to a supply house and bought a package with 50 in. About the same price as buying 2 in the hardware store. Bought one at the hardware store to determine the correct size.

Gerry

Back