What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builder Question

Jeffcc17

Hello,

I started riveting my VS on my RV 10 the other day I am now on page 6-5 step 2.

I am supposed to put 6 universal head rivets into the top 6 holes. My question is does orientation matter on universal head rivets matter. IE shop head side vs factory. Or is it dealers choice..... or should I put 3 in in shop head on one side and three on the other?

As I read on in step 3 is orientation of the shop head for the skeleton of the VS matter?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

The general guideline is to put the manufactured head on the thinner material. Not always possible, but when it is, that is the way to go. If you put the shop head on the thinner material, sometimes the material will pucker a little.

Michael-

If you are riveting two sheets of different thicknesses, the preferred orientation is factory head on the thinner piece. But sometimes this rule is violated for ease of access. If the sheets are the same thickness, it’s your choice.

Thanks for the quick reply

That helps a bunch. Is there ever a time where you mix it up and put half of the factory heads on one side and half on the other?
J

Back