What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 b2b

stinson6

I'm New Here
Hello all. I'm finishing a rebuild on a Bellanca 260 and really am looking to build an RV now. I have a Tripacer with the o-320 b2b sitting in my garage. My question is, has anyone built a -7 with the b2b? I have considered the -4 but I think my wife would like the side by side thing, duh. I would eventually hang an o360 but I have what I have... Thoughts?

The original engine in my RV-6 was a O320-B2B that came out of a Tripacer. I converted the engine to Constant Speed Prop operation in accordance with Lycoming Service Instruction 1435.

From what I remember, Van's does not recommend the B series engine in any of the -A models because the updraft carb sits too far back on the sump interfering with the nose gear. The problem does not exist for the tailwheel version aircraft.

Carb location

Easy to change the sump and intake tubes. You will probably also need to eliminate the oil pickup tube. This requires a cover plate where the tube bolted to the accy case. Used sumps run in the $100 plus range and new intake tubes are only about $160 a set.

The -b2b is a conical mount engine. If you decide to hang a 360 latter, your choices will be very limited without changing the engine mount.

I have a 7A with a D2B. Very pleased with every aspect of the performance. Just remember you have to get the O-320 engine mount instead of the shorter O-360 mount. Only issue I had was that I was nose light. I added a 20# crush plate and fixed that problem.

Back