What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove vs. Van's gear decision time...

jdmunzell

Well Known Member
Hi all... working through the list of add/delete stuff from the QB fuse order and looking at the decision on Grove gear vs. standard...

Done a lot of reading on all the threads about this, and discovered one thread talking about the reliability of Grove to be honest about delays/deliveries centered primarily on last summer. Is this a consistent problem with them or was last summer just a tough time for them? I don't need that kind of hassle either...

The advantage I see with the airfoiled Grove gear is the weight loss and the elimination of fairings. Notwithstanding that, can anybody give me their reasons for going with either the standard or the Grove gear? Can you also tell me if you were happy with the decision or regrets on it? Also, any operational problems down the line with the fiberglass fairings such as cracking, etc...?

Thanks!

Jeff

Weight and CG seem to be the motivating factors. So if you plan on a heavy engine prop combo, Grove may be for you.

Grove Gear

Hi all... working through the list of add/delete stuff from the QB fuse order and looking at the decision on Grove gear vs. standard...

Done a lot of reading on all the threads about this, and discovered one thread talking about the reliability of Grove to be honest about delays/deliveries centered primarily on last summer. Is this a consistent problem with them or was last summer just a tough time for them? I don't need that kind of hassle either...

The advantage I see with the airfoiled Grove gear is the weight loss and the elimination of fairings. Notwithstanding that, can anybody give me their reasons for going with either the standard or the Grove gear? Can you also tell me if you were happy with the decision or regrets on it? Also, any operational problems down the line with the fiberglass fairings such as cracking, etc...?

Thanks!

Jeff

I installed the Grove non-airfoil gear legs on my RV-8 and I'm very happy with them. I placed my order in November 2010 and they were delivered in February 2011, within 1 or 2 weeks of the promised delivery date. I planned well ahead so the lead time was not an issue for me. I chose the non airfoil legs, because they are considerably lighter than the airfoil version, even when fairing weight is taken into account. I used a set of F1 Rocket leg fairings purchased from Mark Frederick (F1Boss on VAF), which I modified slightly to fit. Total modification time for the fairings was 2 hrs, accomplished in 2 evenings after work. I'm extremely happy with the quality of the aluminum legs as well as the service I received from Grove Aircraft. I have 530 hours on my plane, at least 500 landings and no issues so far. I think the weight savings is well worth the cost which wasn't too bad with the price of the Van's legs deducted from the kit. I should also mention that I received excellent service from Mark and Team Rocket Aircraft when I purchased the fairings.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited:
I chose the Grove gear because of weight. Between the Grove gear and a LiFePo battery, I can have my Oregon Aero heated leather seats and full Dynon autopilot for no net weight gain. Plus I avoided messing with gear leg fairings. Another plus is that if you have a polished plane it is one less thing to paint.

One warning - these things are BEAUTIFUL. You will want to hang them as artwork.

My hangar mate has Grove airfoiled gear and his are polished....and they're gorgeous!

Wasn't really planning on a heavy engine/prop combo but the weight savings is still quite appealing as are the stunning looks of the gear.....

I've talked to others who have the standard Van's gear and have no regrets with going that route either, plus money saved to put somewhere else...

Hmmmmm....decisions..decisions....

Jeff,
I decided to install the Grove foil shaped gear on my current build. Its over all look is outstanding. Make sure you get the bearing plates with the Fuselage, Grove supplies the U clamps not the bearing plates. The Grove gear is thicker so the Vans U fixtures won't work. I used the after market root fairings they fit very well. I can tell that the gear is significantly stiffer than the original steel bars.
Since the bars are machined the end result is a component that is more accurately shaped and easier to line up with the fuselage.
The strut can be painted, anodized, or polished. I'm more into flying than rubbing so they are getting paint.

I was unsure if I would do the Grove or stock gear when I ordered my fuselage. When unpacking parts from the QB fuselage delivery I lifted the stock gear legs from the bottom of the fuselage and knew instantly right then and there I would order the Grove gear. Holy cow the stock legs are heavy and I am planning on running a CS speed prop so I want to save weight where I can. I ended up ordering the airfoil gear and did get caught up in the production delays last summer. When they did arrive they were works of art. The fact that it will be slightly less composite work to do was just a bonus.

Back