What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aviators oxygen

lawrence

Well Known Member
i plan to use the oxygen bottle i carry in my rv in another aircraft. however that aircraft is several states away.

does anyone know if the airlines allow an empty aluminum aviators oxygen bottle inside my checked suitcase? on a commercial flight?

If checked it costs a bunch of money and you have to remove the valve to show them it is empty, thus breaking the o2 clean status of the bottle. You can have it re-cleaned at your arrival location and refilled for under $100 assuming the bottle is still in hydro.

You can also carry it on, avoiding the fee, but they will likely still ask you to open it, causing the cleaning issues.

Above is correct. Note opening the valve is not enough, you need to remove it so they can look inside. Takes the right tools. You can send it UPS ground.

Above is correct. Note opening the valve is not enough, you need to remove it so they can look inside. Takes the right tools. You can send it UPS ground.

This! Ship it ahead (empty) and just do the fill.

Don't

They X-ray bags now days. It would have pre 9-11 but not anymore. I ship tools and parts frequently in checked bags and they are ALWAYS opened and a TSA calling card left in the bag.

Just check it and don't say anything. it will arrive and no one will care.

So these comments make me curious what do they do with folks who have medical oxygen on commercial flights - are they excluded from flying because of the bottle?

Greg

So these comments make me curious what do they do with folks who have medical oxygen on commercial flights - are they excluded from flying because of the bottle?

Greg

The airline provides the O2 bottle setup for them. You cannot bring aboard your own pressurized bottle for personal use.

slc aviators oxygen tank loaner

also, my tank has expired hydro test date. looks like not a realistic way to use it on this flight.

anyone in the salt lake city area have a loaner tank? or for sale?

i have everything except the tank.

thanks all....lawrence...

This! Ship it ahead (empty) and just do the fill.

When I received my O2 bottle, shipped to me, it was full. No issues.

I'd just fill 'er up and ship it via FedEx or UPS. Bound to be cheaper and easier than any other option.

Back