What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cotter pin for main wheels

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the MS24665 number for the cotter pin used on the mains?

I broke one after a couple of installations. Van's plans do not show this number. The are slightly over 2" long and slightly under the 1/8" in diameter of the nose wheel fork pin.

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

RV8A bought and flying
RV12 Just starting on the engine.

Thanks, Mark!

That translates to 1/8" x 1 3/4" (according to my Western Wire Products reference). These are slightly fatter than the ones I have, but I'll try to fit them in.

Cheers,

Rafael

Cotter Pins

Those words "Cotter Pins" remind me of an incident I had with my RV8A a few years ago.

I had flown my 8A up to Minnesota to look at an RV8 kit for sale, and was on my way back home in East Tennessee. Enroute I had a fuel stop in Paducah, KY, and as I lined up on the runway and sofly touched down, I mentally congratulated myself for a "greaser."

As I rolled out, I touched left rudder to correct a slight drift to the right of centerline, and, to my surprise, NOTHING happened! Again I pushed left rudder, and again nothing happened as I drifted towards the right edge of the runway.

Seeing that I was going to depart the runway, I pulled idle cutoff and rolled into some high grass near the end of the runway. After the plane stopped and my pulse again came back close to normal, it suddenly dawned on me what had happened - a cotter pin that I failed to bend over had fallen out, leaving me without control of the left rudder and brake.

During construction of the brake/rudder pedal assembly, I just stuck the cotter pins in place because they would be going in and coming out numerous times before the assembly was finished. When I was finished with
the assembly, I bent all the cotters down - except one. And that one cotter
pin took around two hundred hours to finally slide out.

I ended up buying the RV8 kit but I was extremely careful to ensure I properly secured the cotter pins.

Walt Shipley
Chuckey, TN

P.S. I finished the RV8 and it now resides in Australia

Main wheel cotter pins...

Does anyone know the MS24665 number for the cotter pin used on the mains?

I broke one after a couple of installations. Van's plans do not show this number. The are slightly over 2" long and slightly under the 1/8" in diameter of the nose wheel fork pin.

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

RV8A bought and flying
RV12 Just starting on the engine.

The cotter pins supplied with the RV-12 Matco wheels do not appear to be MS. I have found the MS24665-360 not too work well, too long and too big in diameter. Pins that Matco uses and sells are MSC.125X2COTTERPIN COTTER PIN Z/P and although the description makes you think they are 1/8", they are actually 3/32. The Z/P means zinc plated.

Tony

Last edited:
I just got back from solving my cotter pin "issue".

Ended up sightly augmenting the cotter pin hole in the Matco to #30. A standard 1 3/4" by 1/8" worked perfectly.

Thanks to all.

Rafael

Call Matco

For some reason the "standard" cotter pins I bought from Aircraft Spruce were larger in diameter than the ones that came with the brake kit. I had a terrible time getting them in when I pulled the wheels the first time and an even worse time getting them out at the Condition Inspection. I called MATCO and ordered cotter pins from them-- those go in and out with no problem at all. Don't know if they're metric or what but they are obviously "slimmer" than MS pins.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Back