What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Travel

PeterT

I'm New Here
After mounting the horizontal stab on the bench as directed and installing the left and right elevators, I checked the travel and easily made the 30 degrees up and 25 degrees down with no binding or rubbing. Once I mounted the horizontal stab on the tail cone, I had an issue with the elevator stop not allowing the elevator horns from traveling back far enough to get the min 25 degrees up elevator according to what would be required to pass inspection. According to tech support, it is permissible to move the elevator stop back and even modify the aft deck. Having done that and being able to now get the required travel, I continued on and installed the pushrod. Well now the pushrod comes in contact with the the top of the hole that it travels through and prevents the elevator from traveling more than 24 degrees up. Has anyone heard of this problem before? It seems like the elevator horns are not welded correctly at the right angle.

Attachments

• Elevator.jpg
    Elevator.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I recall having to do quite a bit of fiddling with the entire pitch control system from sticks to horn to get the required travel without hitting stops/panel etc.

For this particular issue I would look at whether the rod end can be backed out any more at the horn end to keep the push tube itself from hitting that edge. Make certain to follow minimum thread engagement specs! If that doesn't help, can you file away some material at the edge of the bulkhead hole to get clearance?

Something is definitely off...

Something there really does not look right to me.

If I see the picture right, You have a cut out where there there should be a big thick piece of 3/4 angle acting as a stop. My 1st thought was to check if you swapped left and right on the brackets, but that would move it in the wrong direction.

I had to do a little filing, but the impact point was still well up on the bracket.

Keep digging, something is off...

Derek

Attachments

• 2022-01-06_13-42-28.jpg
    2022-01-06_13-42-28.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 140
One other thought

Are these spacers installed?

Attachments

• 2022-01-06_13-51-14.jpg
    2022-01-06_13-51-14.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 132
For this particular issue I would look at whether the rod end can be backed out any more at the horn end to keep the push tube itself from hitting that edge. Make certain to follow minimum thread engagement specs! If that doesn't help, can you file away some material at the edge of the bulkhead hole to get clearance?[/QUOTE]

There is a step where you have to adjust the length of the push rod so that the bellcrank is at 91.4 degrees from the bellcrank mount so I did not want to go that route although filing away at the top of the bulkhead hole might be the easiest solution. Thanks.

Something there really does not look right to me.

If I see the picture right, You have a cut out where there there should be a big thick piece of 3/4 angle acting as a stop. My 1st thought was to check if you swapped left and right on the brackets, but that would move it in the wrong direction.

I had to do a little filing, but the impact point was still well up on the bracket.

Keep digging, something is off...

Derek

I had to remove the angle bracket to relocate it. i just haven't put it back yet. After explaining to Vans tech support that I wasn't getting the full 30 degrees of up travel, he said in some cases that bracket has to filed of even moved farther back. There is a service bulletin 18-03-30 about it but I agree, something just seem off. I shouldn't have to do this. Thanks for your reply.

Back