What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glued canopy rear bow too narrow

rsharples

I'm New Here
I’ve Sika’d my RV7 sliding canopy and the rear bow is too narrow and catching on the skins when slid rearward (adjacent to the locating pins). The rollers are well centred within the channels, so it is only the rear bow that needs to be wider (1/4” per side). I’m wondering if I could widen the bow by pulling the ends apart, or is the risk of cracking the canopy too great. I’m assume it will have reasonable flex given that it is only attached with Sika.

I’d appreciate any advice on best way to resolve.

Very risky, but if you get the canopy warm, it will reduce the chances of cracking. Worst case is you remove the canopy and re-glue.

When I was getting ready to do my canopy, I read either on here or on somebodies build log that they had trimmed the skins back a little bit to deal with that same issue. Since the canopy skirt covers that area it seems like a reasonable option to consider

When I was getting ready to do my canopy, I read either on here or on somebodies build log that they had trimmed the skins back a little bit to deal with that same issue. Since the canopy skirt covers that area it seems like a reasonable option to consider

I trimmed my skins back a little bit during the build (older RV6 kit, so the plans aren't all that specific to begin with)

Is it possible to roll the edge of the skin slightly, to have it form a bit of a ramp for whatever is catching to slide on instead? Might need to combine this with cutting it back a little?

Just Me

I would NOT widen the bow with the canopy attached.

If it was me, I would pop off the canopy from the sikaflex, widen the bow, and re-bond. Sikaflex is really easy compared to the old way with rivets. But that is just me. I was lucky in that I guessed correctly and have just enough clearance for the bow the slide by.

The Sikaflex gives a little to allow the canopy to flex in the sun and stuff. If one takes up this "flex" by widening the bow, i could see the Sikaflex ripping when the canopy expands in the sun. But only you know how much you need, so you be the judge.
YMMV

Last edited:
Expand canopy

I.agree with removing and rebinding. A guitar "E"" string will slice right through the Sika. When the fit is corrected, wipe with Sika Aktivator. Apply a little Sika and rebond. It sticks to itself really well.
If you want to try adjusting, I've heard of builders putting a spreader between the frame and placing it in the sun to bake. Wouldn't take much.

I left mine As-Is.

Rather than modify the metal, I added these delrin “sliders” to each side. I riveted a piece of angle on then bolted the sliders in line with canopy metal. Nice tight fit. Just another option.

Attachments

• 00B51A6C-C380-4FE3-86BA-AF8326318122.jpeg
    00B51A6C-C380-4FE3-86BA-AF8326318122.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 178
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I took a brave pill and slowly expanded the rear bow 6cm with an expander clamp (after soaking in the hot Australia sun for 30 min). After releasing the clamp, I gained about 10mm in width, which was just sufficient to clear the skins. If I need more clearance, I’ll roll or trim the skins like others have suggested. Thanks again.

Back