What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti Splat

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
I just did the Main Gear Bearing Mod on my RV-10 and would like to give a shout out to Anti Splat. Once again, I am delighted with the product and more importantly, the SERVICE that they provide.

The turn around time for the mod took less than 24 hours.

The result was definitely noticeable; everything is very smooth...and no more packing bearings!

Thanks again!

I just did the Main Gear Bearing Mod on my RV-10 and would like to give a shout out to Anti Splat. Once again, I am delighted with the product and more importantly, the SERVICE that they provide.

The turn around time for the mod took less than 24 hours.

The result was definitely noticeable; everything is very smooth...and no more packing bearings!

Thanks again!

Did this mod help with the 25-30 KT shimmy most 10's have, on deceleration?

They did the main gear bearing mod for my RV-3B. That was a smooth, fast turn-around and I'm very happy with that. During assembly, I found an issue with the fit-up. Since this is an RV-3B, that wasn't all that surprising, the plane abounds in those little surprises. So I called AntiSplatAero and Alan spent a lot of time while we sorted out what was going on. Finally he explained something that solves the problem completely, and I can continue on.

He spent considerable time at this and as he finished, he told me that if an issue comes up, he'll fix it.

I'm completely satisfied, can't hope for anything more. Excellent service. Thanks, Alan!

Incidentally - he said that the axle nuts should go on finger tight and back off one flat. That wasn't the issue but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone needed to know that.

Dave

shimmy

Did this mod help with the 25-30 KT shimmy most 10's have, on deceleration?

A qualified maybe.

I would say that it is better but not gone. I did find out that I have one tire that it a bit out of round, even after truing. It will be replaced shortly and I will post an update.

For now, I an just living with it; brake to 37 knots, roll through to 33 knots, then brake again...

My main bearing modded wheels are on their way back from AS as I type this. Bearings were getting worn upon inspection at the CI so it seemed like a good idea at the time. Looking forward to seeing how they pan out.

One tip

One tip with the install.

I ended up needing to polish the axle just inside of the threads. The fit of the new bearings was really tight. When I first began the install, the inner bearing did not want to slide past the area from the axle side of the thread to about 1/4” inboard. Removing the bearing (wheel) showed an area on the axle that was binding. Polishing the area with 400 and 600 grit wet/dry paper fixed the issue and the bearings and wheel slid on normally. Both axles were the same.

Very happy with the mod and no more packing bearings!

Back