What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX with Garmin 175 IFR NAV, any pics or videos?

Mdragon

Looking at this as an option. Currently have a dual HDX 800 setup, and wanting to add IFR capability. Have not seen any videos of an IFR flight on the HDX with the Garmin 175 feeding the data?

Anyone here have this set up and care to upload a youtube video or something?

I'd like to see it in action if possible.

I’ve been flying IFR with dual SkyView displays and a GTN-650 for almost a decade. The integration is well done. I assume the Garmin 175 would be the same.

Carl

175 will turn off roll steering when in approach mode. Assuming this applies to a GFC500. I don't know if this applies to the Dynon.

From the manual:

Roll steering terminates when
approach mode is selected on
the autopilot. It becomes
available once you initiate the
missed approach.

Last edited:
Looking at this as an option. Currently have a dual HDX 800 setup, and wanting to add IFR capability. Have not seen any videos of an IFR flight on the HDX with the Garmin 175 feeding the data?

Anyone here have this set up and care to upload a youtube video or something?

I'd like to see it in action if possible.

I have this setup (single HDX1100 + GPS175), it works quite well for what I've done with it. Coming up on my instrument rating, but still a few hours to knock out. I don't have any other configuration to compare with, but I'd expect the HDX piece looks the same as with any other navigator.

I did find a short YouTube video of an approach with the HDX and GPS175 in an RV4. You can see it here

I have this setup (single HDX1100 + GPS175), it works quite well for what I've done with it. Coming up on my instrument rating, but still a few hours to knock out. I don't have any other configuration to compare with, but I'd expect the HDX piece looks the same as with any other navigator.

I did find a short YouTube video of an approach with the HDX and GPS175 in an RV4. You can see it here

Awesome! Just watched it. Thanks!

I do

I fly this in my 6. Dual HDX's with a 175. Flys everything great! Holds and GS when available. If you want specifics, happy to help.

HDX and Garmin 175

Currently flying a just finished 6 with HDX and two axis Dynon AP. If I add a 175 and connect with an ARNIC 429, do you think the autopilot would capture and fly the decent on a GPS approach?

Thanks,
Frank 54LZ out of Birmingham

Currently flying a just finished 6 with HDX and two axis Dynon AP. If I add a 175 and connect with an ARNIC 429, do you think the autopilot would capture and fly the decent on a GPS approach?

Thanks,
Frank 54LZ out of Birmingham

Absolutely. This is my configuration. All you need to manage is the airspeed. I've stayed on autopilot right down to 250' minimums and if you're on speed it's pretty much a perfect setup (crabbed for crosswind). You might not be able to take it this far down if the crosswinds are strong. It will fly an LNAV+V as well as an LPV, but watch out for the trap - it's not an LPV approach for a reason.

Make sure you setup your autopilot for a rate 1 turn at a holding airspeed, I used 120 kt and I think it was 17 degrees bank. Do your own calculation. Turns up to 90 degrees on the approach go smoothly.

I urge you to have the autopilot panel as well as the knob panel. I can't imagine flying IFR procedures without them. Not enough time to go through the various screens, knobs and buttons on the HDX alone. A go around button close to your throttle is a great help as well.

One big caveat on my advise. I'm still only an IFR student and have been stalled on my training for over a year. I've only done a little practice on my own in the past 2 months after a lengthy absence from flying.

175 will turn off roll steering when in approach mode. Assuming this applies to a GFC500. I don't know if this applies to the Dynon.

From the manual:

Roll steering terminates when
approach mode is selected on
the autopilot. It becomes
available once you initiate the
missed approach.

Bob,

This is incorrect to say that the "GPS 175 will turn off roll steering in approach mode". That is not what this statement is saying and it does not turn off roll steering in approach mode.

The statement you copied above is present in the Pilot Guide for not only the GPS 175, GNC 355, and GNX 375, but also for the GTN 6XX/7XX navigators.

This statement is in a section referring to "Roll Steering Autopilots". What is being referred to here as a "roll steering autopilot" is an old style autopilot that uses a GPS roll steering converter (referred to as GPSS) to provide an analog heading mode signal to the autopilot since it cannot directly process and follow ARINC 429 roll steering commands.

These autopilots use roll steering up to the final approach course (using HDG mode), and then must be switched to conventional CDI based approach (APR) mode where they will terminate using GPSS and capture/fly the approach. For these autopilots, they can be switched back to using GPSS guidance (with the autopilot in HDG mode) to fly the missed approach.

All Garmin autopilots, including the GFC 500 and G3X/G3X Touch autopilots, are modern fully digital autopilots that natively use ARINC 429 roll steering commands provided by Garmin navigators and this statement does not apply to them.

Steve

not sure what you’re really wanting to see. It’s no different than a 650 other than it doesn’t have ILS capability. It works like any other GPS navigator. It certainly is the cheapest of the newer units to get IFR capability

Last edited:
Anyone here have this set up and care to upload a youtube video or something? I'd like to see it in action if possible.[/QUOTE said:
I have this setup in my RV10 (Dual HDX, Garmin 175 , Dynon A\P panel & ARINC) The unit performs all IFR functions without any issues. With the Dynon I wired "Go around" button and at the MAP, when I press the "go around" it starts a pitch up and annunciates "add power".

Video to follow

I’m currently downloading a video for Carl that I shot for this exact purpose. I fly dual HDX with 355 and Trig. It will be unedited video and probably 2 parts based on current upload to YouTube. I’m not a YouTube star or editor so it’s not perfect. I’ll post link here when it’s ready.

Very happy with the 175 +HDX

Our RV-14A has that setup and it is a very seamless operation.

AMWts8C_-ISTS-dDbVlP7t7SfYT6fJvgmTBn7kXrjep6OPGcaPW4fCTrrouBWGyE5COB0kd256U0OLE09Tg24en9jHu8zME5-pRrLRSRdaAZed1Oq0fseMl9ULEtQIGTu9HZ2jkiiJKxdAiJuKaYNJsZ393dGA=w1204-h903

All Garmin autopilots, including the GFC 500 and G3X/G3X Touch autopilots, are modern fully digital autopilots that natively use ARINC 429 roll steering commands provided by Garmin navigators and this statement does not apply to them.

Steve

Sounds like the documentation needs to be corrected to explain this further.

Back