What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual Flaps: Flap Grip?

David Paule

Well Known Member
Just wondered what, if anything, you might have used for hand grips on the manual flap handle.

My C180 is wrapped with what looks like electrical tape. Sounds redneck, doesn't it? It's lasted the 35+ years I've owned it with zero wear or degradation, and still feels fine. It's been a first-class hand grip. Wish I could be as happy about the door seals. But I have not a clue what brand or model tape they used or even if it's still available.

Dave

You can always use bicycle grip tape - comes in many styles, colors, and thicknesses - and some of them are padded! They usually come with an end plug that MIGHT fit your handle….

I always have had a foam grip on my RV-6 manual flap handle. The foam does not last forever. Just replaced the old grip July 2021 with a bicycle foam grip from Amazon. Not sure if the old one is 24-years old or if this is the 2nd replacement in 24-years.

How about the self vulcanizing repair tape? It’s a rubber silicone tape that seals to itself?

Rubber grip

I used a moulded rubber grip that I bought at a shop which sells rubber sheeting, foam, rubber strips etc., for about $6. They had various common sizes. It's plain black rubber that is lightly ridged, not foam, and is ideal because it's not too bulky and gives a much better grip than the smooth tubing. This was on my non-RV, which has the same Johnson type bar as the RV. I expect the grip will outlast my hand.

You can always use bicycle grip tape - comes in many styles, colors, and thicknesses - and some of them are padded! They usually come with an end plug that MIGHT fit your handle….

This made me laugh pretty good Paul until I re-read what you said. I thought I read plaid not padded. Sort of thought that that would look kinda different.

Flap handle

I’m using a motorcycle hand grip. Lots to choose from. Got mine for $19.00, looks good slipes right on, has 2 locking set screws. Got it from Amazon.

Hope this helps.
RD

When I bought a pair of Ray Allen stick grips I asked for an extra foam grip which I used on the flap handle. Makes for a nice integrated look.

Mine was bare until a year ago, when I got annoyed by the effect of sunscreen and sweat making it slippery on hot days.

Foam handle grip, $6 from a bike shop. They come in pairs, so I have another one on the shelf for when it wears out. Perfect.

- mark

G-BVDC

Same as Ed painted, but I have just put Bicycle tape on the stick and it works well If I was to use anything it would be the bicycle tape.

Just my tuppence worth

Rob

Back