What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many conduits required?

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,
Empenage almost finished.
We left one skin unrivetted to allow conduits run.
I am seeing many builders running a dedicated conduits for Tailight, ELT, VOR Antennas, Transponder antenna...etc
And I wonder why can't i just run one , or two? aren't the Antennas wires coaxed? Do you fear from interferences?
So how many are required in your opinion?

Thanks!
Oren

From the baggage compartment bulkhead aft, wire runs include:
- ELT antenna coax (if you mount it under the empennage fairing)
- Trim motor (a single four #22 conductor shielded wire)
- Tail light/strobe (a single three #20 conductor shielded wire works fine for LEDs)
- OAT probe wires (if you mount them aft)
- Static line

A single conduit is fine for these - and really no need to worry about this now as it is simple to add during the rest of the wiring effort. Finish the tail cone.

All other antennas are mounted forward of the baggage compartment bulkhead (for me anyway). VOR/LOC/GS antenna in the right wing.

I did mount the SkyView ADS-B receiver and antenna just aft of the baggage compartment bulkhead. The antenna lead is perhaps 8? long and the ADS-B receiver connects to the SkyView serial inputs, power and ground with a single four #22 conductor shielded wire.

SkyView ADAHRS modules are mounted in the tail cone overhead and I recommend you figure this out now.

When you get to running conduits to the baggage compartment send me a PM and I?ll provide photos.

Carl

I put in 4 and used maybe 1 and 1/2 or less. However, my 3 - 1/4" air lines were routed separately. I would not do less than 2, as the battery cable is pretty thick. If you go with a dedicated ground (I did not) this is even more space.

Larry

I ran 3 conduits from the tailcone forward; 2 in the right side and 1 on the left, baggage door side. I am about to start wiring up my runs, but have not done this yet. Worst case, i believe it's possible to run additional conduits under the rear seat pans (even if they're riveted down) directly forward and through the rear spar, as some other have done, with Vans blessing. I decided not to run anything through the rear spar and figured if I absolutely have to have more conduits, that I will find a way at that time. I plan to keep my battery in the tailcone, run a dedicated ground wire forward to firewall and also to remote mount a couple things. However, I'm still building and not flying yet, so my layout could change.

I ran 3 3/4 on each side, so 6 total. I used them all, then again I have a lot of stuff shoved in my plane.

From the baggage compartment bulkhead aft, wire runs include:
- ELT antenna coax (if you mount it under the empennage fairing)
- Trim motor (a single four #22 conductor shielded wire)
- Tail light/strobe (a single three #20 conductor shielded wire works fine for LEDs)
- OAT probe wires (if you mount them aft)
- Static line

A single conduit is fine for these - and really no need to worry about this now as it is simple to add during the rest of the wiring effort. Finish the tail cone.

All other antennas are mounted forward of the baggage compartment bulkhead (for me anyway). VOR/LOC/GS antenna in the right wing.

I did mount the SkyView ADS-B receiver and antenna just aft of the baggage compartment bulkhead. The antenna lead is perhaps 8? long and the ADS-B receiver connects to the SkyView serial inputs, power and ground with a single four #22 conductor shielded wire.

SkyView ADAHRS modules are mounted in the tail cone overhead and I recommend you figure this out now.

When you get to running conduits to the baggage compartment send me a PM and I?ll provide photos.

Carl

Thanks a lot Carl!
I will!

Thanks a lot Carl!
I will!

So let me double check i got it right:
Other than physical convenience, there is not real requirement to separate the wires in different conduits. as long as they are coaxed.
Antennas can run along with power lines...etc

Thanks,
Oren

I have 6 conduits -- 3 on each side. My philosophy is it was better to have too many than not enough especially if you don't know how much wire you are ultimately going to run. Also I separated my data/signal wires from power wires.

Last edited:
So let me double check i got it right:
Other than physical convenience, there is not real requirement to separate the wires in different conduits. as long as they are coaxed.
Antennas can run along with power lines...etc

Thanks,
Oren

Shielded cables are generally not much of a problem but it's still good practice to separate power runs from signal cables where practical. In my 10, I ended up with two conduits aft of the baggage compartment. One was solely for the VOR whiskers in the vertical stab. The other was for the trim servos and tail strobe. The autopilot pitch servo did not require a conduit run aft, and the ELT antenna cable was a short run from the ELT mounted aft, so no conduit there, either.

Back