-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 PM

Scott - you might find it helpful, with a fuse block in that location, to use the fuses with built-in LEDs which illuminate when the fuse is blown. There are lots of sources for them, including Stein. They would make your "upside down time" to diagnose a blown fuse a little shorter! :-)
Old 01-27-2017, 05:16 AM

Default Engine sensor wiring ??

Katie,
Your switch to G3x surprised me as you and the Panther folks were solid GRT. I am purchasing avionics for my -4 project and you got my attention with your G3X pick.
I love my iFly 740 cause it is so easy to use as they claim. I considered an engine monitor to complement an iFly, but that approach begs for compass, attitude etc. ( belt and suspenders).
I had decided the MGL lite is the way to go BECAUSE the RDAC makes a lot of sense. Fragile TC wires and Omega plugs for extentions are not elegant . How have you handled the TC extension/ termination issue on your G3X??
Also, our Garmin 5xx Aera is a PITA compared to my iFly. So I had not even considered Garmin but you make it sound user friendly. I will see them at OSH.
FWIW, I mounted the magnetometer on my -3B to the back of the baggage bulkhead and it works great. You might consider some rubber mounting isolators somewhere. Dont know if thats important but good insurance.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:08 PM

Nice Job. I'm impressed.

RV-7A N705RV (Sold)
Lancair IV-P N530P
RV-14A (Under Construction)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Scott. Great point on the canopy bow overlapping thrle top edge of the panel. On my RV-3B it is not insignificant Katie, watch the upper corners of the display and the warning lights. Your template looks like it would cause canopy interference on my 3B. Your cut metal panel looks better but just be careful.

And congratulations for getting an accolade from Pahan. The guy who wrote "the" installation training syllabus for the G3X and enlightened us to the capabilities and simplicity of the CAN bus architecture at the AEA class. I went in as a curious underdog brand "x" proponent. I came away completely impressed by the Garmin Team X products.

Jim
the pecan guy

Last edited by jliltd : 01-27-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
Katie,
Your switch to G3x surprised me as you and the Panther folks were solid GRT. I am purchasing avionics for my -4 project and you got my attention with your G3X pick.
I love my iFly 740 cause it is so easy to use as they claim. I considered an engine monitor to complement an iFly, but that approach begs for compass, attitude etc. ( belt and suspenders).
I had decided the MGL lite is the way to go BECAUSE the RDAC makes a lot of sense. Fragile TC wires and Omega plugs for extentions are not elegant . How have you handled the TC extension/ termination issue on your G3X??
Also, our Garmin 5xx Aera is a PITA compared to my iFly. So I had not even considered Garmin but you make it sound user friendly. I will see them at OSH.
FWIW, I mounted the magnetometer on my -3B to the back of the baggage bulkhead and it works great. You might consider some rubber mounting isolators somewhere. Dont know if thats important but good insurance.
Hi Larry,

The GRT Sport is a great lightweight system for the Panther and the -3. I seriously considered it for a long time, but I didn't want to give up Garmin's touch screen and bells and whistles that we've been enjoying with the LSAs lately. The Sport is simpler, with the built in AHRS and GPS. I haven't weighed the components of both systems but I'm sure the Sport setup weighs less and it's simple to install. The EIS is not as simple to install, but once you get it going it will last forever. I refuse to say anything is "bulletproof" in aviation, but that little old green box pretty much is.

I haven't wired anything firewall forward on the RV yet, but with our Jabiru airplanes, we still use GRT EGT and CHT probes. The EGT/CHT harness is made from thermocouple wire and connected to the probes using spade connectors. We do not shorten any of the probe wires, just trim the harness to length. When I get to that point in the -3 I'll post it here!
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Thoughts & opinions expressed here are my own, and not those of my employer.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionicsr View Post
Nice Job. I'm impressed.
Thanks, Pahan!

Quote:
Scott. Great point on the canopy bow overlapping thrle top edge of the panel. On my RV-3B it is not insignificant Katie, watch the upper corners of the display and the warning lights. Your template looks like it would cause canopy interference on my 3B. Your cut metal panel looks better but just be careful.
Hi Jim! Yeah the corners of the screen will be close to the canopy bow. I did measure it all the way around, but before I go too much further with the panel face, I suppose it would be smart to secure the canopy up there with the EFIS installed just to make 100% sure!
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Default Lower Panel

Today I built the lower panel for the throttle, mixture, circuit breakers, cabin heat, cabin lighting, and headset jacks. I used a scrap of .025" 2024 out of an old RV-6 kit that our friend Nick finished. I wondered if it would be too thin, but after bending it and supporting it against the F-303(?) uprights, it will be plenty.

0127171136 by jabiruchick, on Flickr

So you know this plane is a weird color... Most people who see it ask me right away if I'm going to keep it that "putrid" or "amazing" color. Guys usually think it's ugly, but other women seem to love it. I've always been a huge fanatic for classic cars and vintage industrial design, so this color makes me happy. Tony originally picked it because--in his words-- it's the same color as the 1955 Thunderbird he bought as a newly minted USAF second lieutenant in 1961, so I want to expand on the old car theme a bit. I was able to complete my first little decorative touch today by machine-turning the finish of the lower instrument panel.

If you look at pictures of a 1956 Ford Thunderbird interior, you'll see that the instrument panel has a neat fish-scale looking appearance. I thought it looked a little bit like the Spirit of St. Louis's cowling, so I Googled "Spirit of St. Louis cowl finish" and learned all about machine-turning. It's an old craft and it looks like way too much work, but I did it quick and dirty using a round piece of Scotch-brite hot-glued to a bolt head. Stuck it into the drill press, clamped a fence to the drill bed at increments of 7/16", and it didn't take long at all to make some neat swirly rows.

[IMG]0127171225 by jabiruchick, on Flickr[/IMG]

0127171432 by jabiruchick, on Flickr

After that, I taped it up real good with painter's tape and bent the flanges on the brake. The tape protected the new finish from scratches from the brake. Here it is clamped to the bottom of the panel. I got into the plane again to make sure my knees still fit underneath it, and they do. The lower edge is bent forward, so if I do graze the edge it won't scrape my shins like some of the extended panels in RV's I've ridden in.

0127171521 by jabiruchick, on Flickr

After that, I made the transparencies for the panel markings. Hoping for sunshine tomorrow to expose the screen printing emulsion. I'll let you know how that goes...
VAF Dues Paid 2021!

Last edited by KatieB : 01-29-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Corrected the legend of Tony Boy's color
Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 PM

Default RV-3 Panel Extention

Katie, just a word of caution. Extending the panel that much lower is going to require you to be somewhat of a gymnast. Keep in mind that when your canopy is in place there is not much room for support to lift you straight up out of the airplane. I drive a 3 and I know of which I speak. I vote for keeping Tony's color.

Bill Newkirk
Old 01-28-2017, 04:24 PM

Default Rv-3 cockpit

Hi Katie. I've been flying this 3 for almost 300 hours.
The cockpit works well, I would not change a thing other than a new glare shield. The throttle quardrant on the left hand arm rest and the switchs on the right arm rest work very well for space. I can't imagine the throttle on the panel
As it may conflict with the stick.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N13BN View Post
Katie, just a word of caution. Extending the panel that much lower is going to require you to be somewhat of a gymnast. Keep in mind that when your canopy is in place there is not much room for support to lift you straight up out of the airplane. I drive a 3 and I know of which I speak. I vote for keeping Tony's color.

Bill Newkirk
It looks big in the photos, but it's only 1.5" tall. Just high enough to mount the 1" throttle and 1 1/8" mixture controls with labels. I've crawled in and out of it with the sub panel in place with and without the canopy installed with no problems. I do need to strengthen my arms, though.

The throttle and mixture are in basically the same place Tony put them, just inside the left upright of F303.

After we put the canopy on, I did have to adjust the placement of the warning lights to clear the canopy bow, so thanks for that suggestion. The EFIS clears it by a fat finger width on each corner.

Here is the panel drawing:

[IMG]0128171623 by jabiruchick, on Flickr[/IMG]
VAF Dues Paid 2021!