Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM

Default FLIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanderson View Post
Are you aware of anyone who provides a FLIR or low-light camera that is compatible with the composite video input?
Check this out. They even have one for your phone.
http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/
Old 04-04-2014, 05:15 AM

Post G3X Touch system Pilot Guide

The new Pilot Guide for the G3X Touch system is now available on our web site.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Hi Steve, very exciting about the new unit and very likely i'll invest in one, however I can't really understand why somebody would want to replace their dual GDU-3XX system with a single touch. I have an RV-6 and will be installing a new panel soon (originally planning for a dual GDU-3XX system) and am curious other than touch and bluetooth, what advantages the touch has? It seems the resolution on the two GDU-3XX would still be higher, and also have redundancy. Is the processing much faster now or the screen brighter?

thanks,
Cyrus
Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM

There is more resolution in the Touch:

Touch: 1280 x 768 = 983,040 pixels
Dual Old G3X: 480 x 800 x 2 = 768,000 pixels

Redundancy is a good point. I too would be interested in the processing power specs. I imagine it needs to be greater to be able to push over twice the pixels in one display.

Last edited by grayforge : 04-08-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Don't think you can remotely control a xpdr or comm radio from the non-touch. Autopilot interface appears way better with the touch. Synthetic vision looks way better on the touch. Customizable views/layouts provide a much better display in my opinion. Id rather have a single screen touch and a small dynon for redundancy than two old g3xs. If you care about having a video in feed, only available on the touch. Probably several other improvements I'm overlooking. The higher resolution maps/plates/diagrams and the touch interface would do it for me. If I didn't have a kid on the way, I would have a touch on order already. Just something I didn't like about the smaller screens held me back previously from putting the original g3x system in.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM

You can control the GTX 23 ES transponder from the G3X Classic. :-)
Old 04-08-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayforge View Post
You can control the GTX 23 ES transponder from the G3X Classic. :-)
Ah yes...my bad. But not with that sweet touch interface
Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I did a quick and dirty rendering of how this would look on my panel...

Keep in mind that Steve has stated that it is not possible to have this configuration at this time.

I really don't expect to be upgrading anytime soon, I just wanted to see how it would fit.
Greetings. First poster here. I've been looking at the G3X Touch and was brought here by a search.

If you give up the Dynon back-up and the TruTrak autopilot (in favor of the Garmin autopilot) you can fit two GDU 46X displays on your panel, I think.

Note that in my modification of your illustration the PFD pane of the pilot's display is in virtually the identical position as in your original.

Last edited by BrianO : 04-22-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
Greetings. First poster here. I've been looking at the G3X Touch and was brought here by a search.

If you give up the Dynon back-up and the TruTrak autopilot (in favor of the Garmin autopilot) you can fit two GDU 46X displays on your panel, I think.

Note that in my modification of your illustration the PFD pane of the pilot's display is in virtually the identical position as in your original.
Brian,

Welcome to VAF!

The goal of my quick and dirty rendering was to see how to fit one GDU46X in the panel. I just did a major redo of my panel about a year ago. To add two screens means moving the radio stack and that for me is a show stopper since I have already butchered up my subpanel one too many times. I would also have to reorganize all of the stuff behind the subpanel like the VP-X Pro and remote xponder and I am not going thru that again anytime soon.

I have already switched from the GX Pilot to the Garmin AP so that space is available however I will always want a separate, stand alone and unique backup attitude display like the D6 on any panel I build. Two screens and multiple ADAHRS's based on the same platform do not provide a full redundancy solution due to the common code, hardware and communication buses.

Your new layout looks cool, if you build it please post a pic for us to drool on...

Best regards,
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 AM

So it seems that the mixed G3X system is a problem for now, but it does appear to be a solution for people like me who were planning an offset panel with eventually maybe 3 of the original screens. It creates a lot of work to go to the new screens since the entire panel has to be reorganized to go to the new larger screen. I'd be interested in hearing from Garmin their plans to integrating the two systems. Is this ever going to happen or are there incompatibilities that will prevent it from happening? I'm also curious about the future of the classic G3X screens. Am I fighting a loosing battle by thinking about staying with the GDU 375/370 system?
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete