What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings are here

islandmonkey

Well Known Member
Before I became ill, I placed an order with Vans for the wing kit for my RV-4. This was last September. At that time, I had no idea that I was already so ill. The wing kit set me back $6500 plus delivery and Swiss taxes. When I was told and when it had sunk in that I was very ill, I thought about cancelling the order. That would have cost me $2000 as work had already commenced at Phlogiston on the wing spar. I decided that the motivation of having the wing kit would go a long way in helping me recover from this dreadful lurgy. This morning, I received a phone call announcing that the consignment is now in Zurich and will be delivered to the house (Tony Towers) tomorrow. I asked if the consignment could be dropped into the garage as it is made up of two crates, with a combined weight of 180Kg. there is no way I could lift or move that sort of weight in my present condition. Anyway, the driver will drop the crates straight into the garage. I am so looking forward to seeing the wing kit and I can already feel the motivation stirring 8?) .

We offer you our best wishes!

I also pray for your soon and full recovery.
I do not know what your illness is, but where there is life there is hope.
In addition to your doctor I would advise you get a hold of the best nutritionist that you can find. The whole "you are what you eat" thing may be a factor.

Do what you can to get in the sky (in your RV);)

Wings

Congratulations! I remember when I brought my -7 wings home in the crate, I was like a kid in a candy store ripping through everything. I'm sure this will get ya going, have fun.

Our Prayers for a speedy recovery are with you

Thanks

Thanks guys for your prayers. I do appreciate them.

Here is a link to an older post describing my condition:

Taking it on the Chin

Rather than post here on VAF, I am using Facebook to keep people updated on my condition. If you are interested in keeping up to date with this then please join me on Facebook. Here is the link to my Facebook Wall:

Anthony's Facebook Page

It has been about a month now since I last posted about my illness. I have gone through two Chemo sessions and have another six to do. This should finish at the end of February. I am taking daily Chemo medication. I do feel as if I have improved over the last month. Pain is my biggest bugbear at the moment along with general weakness and weight loss. I am down to 80 kgs from 97 kgs in just over a month. I don't recommend my diet plan. Nevertheless, I did want to loose weight however.

My excitement and anticipation for tomorrow is growing exponentially as the time ticks by. I am so looking forward to inventorying the wing components and to seeing the Phlog wing spar in the flesh.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Anthony,

You displayed such a positive attitude in your original thread that I didn't think it could get much better, but I think receipt of that wing kit will do it!

My 45yo cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer about the same time as you were diagnosed, and fortunately her attitude is a good as yours. I sincerely believe that your attitude can make or break the success of the treatment. It doesn't hurt either that you have a substantial portion of this 14,000+ family pulling for you!;)

Hang in there Anthony,

Wings have arrived!! Wooohoooo!

Well, the wing kit has arrived in two crates. One crate is long and thin and looks in good condition. This has got to be the spar. The other crate, which has the "This Way Up" arrows pointing to the floor :eek: has some slight damage at one corner. The damage to the crate has not compromised what is inside as far as I can see. Both crates are bl**dy heavy and I am unable to move them on my own. The delivery guy was very good and he brought the crates into my garage and positioned them where I wanted. I gave him the equivalent of $20 for his efforts. I will post a picture of the crates later.

The other crate, which has the "This Way Up" arrows pointing to the floor :eek: has some slight damage at one corner.

Well, that direction was "Up" (roughly) when the crate left the factory. Maybe there are some gyros in the box keeping everything copacetic (with just a little precession thrown in, since you're not quite on the other side of the world from Aurora). :)

Those are wings to fly, Anthony. So, fly! You inspire all of us. Be well! (And soon, please.)

--
Stephen

Anthony,
Do you still need help with the crates?

Mike
RV-10, ZRH

Wow, Michael, what can I say. I was lost for words when I first read your post. I would like to take you up on your offer in the New Year if that is okay with you. I want to try and be a bit more mobile than I am now and hopefully that will be in January. In the meantime, let us exchange email addresses and telephone numbers.

Have a great Christmas.

Many thanks to everyone. Your messages and posts give me so much encouragement. Many many thanks to to DR who made this thread a front page post yesterday.

Pictures of Wing Crates

Here is a a couple of pictures of the wing crates that were delivered last week:

Spar%252520Crate.JPG

This has to be the spar crate. This crate is in good condition.

Wing%252520Crate%252520Damage.JPG

Here is the damage to the other crate. I only hope nothing has dropped out of this small hole. My experience with Vans's packing though, leads me to believe that nothing should be missing. You can also see that the crate is upside down by the position of the arrows. Maybe whoever spotted the damage turned the crate upside down to stop anything falling out. I am still not strong enough to move these crates and check however.

Back