What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instructor needed for checkout Nashville

LeeMajors

Well Known Member
My buddy bought an RV6 in Columbus OH. His name is Jason Wike, we’ve flown together nearly 20 years at 3 airlines now. He has applied for access but hasn’t been granted it yet, but I thought I’d throw this out here so people would know he’s legit and give him hopefully a few leads.

Insurance is requiring him to get 10 hours of dual. He’s in Nashville and wondering if anyone is local in Nashville with a CFI who can give him the 10 hours he needs (He then has another 10 hours solo before he can carry passengers).

If anyone has contact info or can post here, I’m sure he’ll be along when they approve his access to post more.

Thanks,

Since your friend is new to EAB, just to be sure he’s up to date with the latest legalities:
1. His RV may not be used by a cfi to give instruction for hire. The FAA acknowledged that they screwed up the FARs, and will issue nearly instantaneously a waiver (‘LODA’) to allow the owner to receive dual, for hire, in his airplane. It’s all done electronically, in a matter of days. Search the forums for ‘loda’.
2. If you are looking for a paid cfi who will also furnish the airplane (or an owner who will rent you his airplane), this requires a different LODA. This one requires more work, you have to deal with the fsdo, is limited to transition training only, etc., but it can be done. But, most insurance policies do not cover instruction to others for hire. Insurance that does cover it is expensive. So your choices are mostly (1) find a cfi with a plane who is willing to fly uninsured (you may be at financial risk here) or (2) go to one of the cfi’s that do a lot of this - enough to justify the insurance cost.

As I recall, I was able to add my flight instructor to my insurance policy at no add’l cost, and used my plane for instruction as he had lots of RV time. This was years ago but I have. LODA now for the planes use to take add’l instruction / flight reviews as needed.

Don't know if she's still instructing, but but I believe Catherine Cavagnaro over at Sewanee has done some RV instruction and would probably know about all the legalities...

I'll add Wavier of Subrogation from the Owner's insurance company for the CFI flying the owners plane is a good idea.

Back