What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rub on inboard elevators, thoughts?

JeremyL

Well Known Member
Good morning everyone, I have just mounted the elevators to the horizontal stabilizer (big moment!!) and as you can see in the picture the inboard edge of the elevator is contacting the HS. The condition is present bilaterally. The rod end bearings are screwed in per plan measurements. My initial thought to correct this would be to back the inboard bearing out a turn or so. But before I mess with it I wanted to see if you all had any thoughts and or ideas about this. I look forward to hearing. The contact is at the very end of travel, maybe the last half inch or so. Thank you very much and HAPPY VETERANS DAY, thank you to all of you who have served to protect us and make America what it is!

Attachments

• B1C17A33-8E6D-416A-83A0-2FD532D72D09.jpg
    B1C17A33-8E6D-416A-83A0-2FD532D72D09.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 283
Rod Ends

Adjust the rod end bearings as needed. Probably only need a half to a full turn.

Looks like an issue with the bend on the end of the elevator U channel spar. Lay a straight edge across the skin on the rivet line. Notice how the rest of the interface allows the elev skin to slide under the HS skin? If it is bending up a bit at the inner end, go to town with a hand seamer. May need to make a spacer with holes for the rivet shop ends to get a good grip on it. You'll find it is not hard to deform a bend in thin aluminum.

Larry

Last edited:
Looks like an issue with the bend on the end of the elevator U channel spar. Lay a straight edge across the skin on the rivet line. Notice how the rest of the interface allows the elev skin to slide under the HS skin? If it is bending up a bit at the inner end, go to town with a hand seamer. May need to make a spacer with holes for the rivet shop ends to get a good grip on it. You'll find it is not hard to deform a bend in thin aluminum.

Larry

I did as you suggested here and this was my result. It was even from what I can see and the metal ruler was able to stand on its own.

Attachments

• C4C18626-BEF2-4D31-B1B6-36663B7ABDD5.jpg
    C4C18626-BEF2-4D31-B1B6-36663B7ABDD5.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 260
I did bend it a touch to relieve some interference. I am getting clear no interference up to about 32-33 degrees of deflection both up and down. I’m not sure how many degrees I need. (I don’t have that part of the plans yet) do you know how many degrees is acceptable?

Back