What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does HBC fill up?

3Pilots+Me

I'm New Here
For OSH this year, our arrival is scheduled for Tuesday, July 27. This will be our first time in HBC. In past years, has HBC ever completely filled up and turned away RV’s because of lack of space? Trying to decide if we just come for the day and fly home each night since it’s only an hour flight.

I'm thinking Yes

For OSH this year, our arrival is scheduled for Tuesday, July 27. This will be our first time in HBC. In past years, has HBC ever completely filled up and turned away RV’s because of lack of space? Trying to decide if we just come for the day and fly home each night since it’s only an hour flight.

I'm thinking Yes this year. I have an interesting perspective as I fly the Bell 47 tour helicopters. We start flying on Sunday with training on Sat. Over the past few years we have noticed a trend of people getting there earlier and earlier every year. I suspect with the year off people are anxious to get out and get to AirVenture.

As far as a Tuesday arrival, that is usually the point where everything is getting full. The good news is homebuilts are never turned away. Also, a few years ago they added another area next to the traditional HBC.

So, I think it will fill but you'll be fine. Get there on Monday so you can attend the RV Social Monday night.

HBC always has room

The policy is ton never turn away show planes, which includes all homebuilt AC. It seems they also always find some where to squeeze in everyone who wants to camp in HBC. That being said, by Tuesday you start to see a few leaving by Tuesday making room for more.

I'm thinking Yes this year. I have an interesting perspective as I fly the Bell 47 tour helicopters. We start flying on Sunday with training on Sat. Over the past few years we have noticed a trend of people getting there earlier and earlier every year. I suspect with the year off people are anxious to get out and get to AirVenture.

As far as a Tuesday arrival, that is usually the point where everything is getting full. The good news is homebuilts are never turned away. Also, a few years ago they added another area next to the traditional HBC.

So, I think it will fill but you'll be fine. Get there on Monday so you can attend the RV Social Monday night.

Now we know who is making all the noise. Lol

I know who makes the noise, the Aero Shell T-6's taking off at 0600!!! They are my alarm to get up and start making noise at 0800!!!

:):):)
But what a way to wake up! Love it and why I like to camp in HBC. Immersive.

I've noticed a trend over the years I've been to OSH, may be valid or not.
There would be a wave of folks that arrive early & leave late Tues or Wed. Than a second slightly smaller wave of folks that arrive Tues/Wed and leave Friday. Seems to be a lot of space Sat night.
Maybe one of the OSH volunteers could comment if my observations have any basis.

I've noticed a trend over the years I've been to OSH, may be valid or not.
There would be a wave of folks that arrive early & leave late Tues or Wed. Than a second slightly smaller wave of folks that arrive Tues/Wed and leave Friday. Seems to be a lot of space Sat night.
Maybe one of the OSH volunteers could comment if my observations have any basis.

Ralph,

Your observations are spot on. We have 20 years of data to back this up- Tuesday air show is the peak of attendance in HBC/ HBP. After that departures out pace arrivals and it’s a slow decline after that. There is a small bump later in the week but nowhere near filling up. By Friday noon the homebuilt area is 1/2 empty.

Back