What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modified pop rivet gun question

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
I know I have seen pics of how some builders have modifed a blind rivet gun for tight spaces, but my search is not turning up anything. Im about to rivet the flaps together and the inboard section where the angle brace attaches to the spar and rib calls for a LP4-3 blind rivet. When I tried to get the pop rivet gun on the shaft if the blind rivet there is no room. Any ideas or special tools for this.

Thank's

eishl0.jpg

For this task you don't need to modify the tool. Just make an extension shim from some aluminum bar stock you have laying around. Drill a hole for the mandrel, and it'll go between the tool and the head of the rivet when you're pulling it. Make sense?

20101218_53.jpg

Last edited:
I ground mine a bit

Took the grinder and scotchbrite wheel to mine to accomidate some tight spots. You can also grind the face of the die at an angle, then put a rivet in the puller and bend the shank of the rivet till the head of the rivet is flat against the face of the die, works great.

I suspect most anything (that will fit and is strong enough) can be used to space out the puller.

Stack of washers ----cheap easy to find, adjustable height. Easy to recycle.

Thick wall steel tube---cut to size as needed.

Back