What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat muff on #4 pipe?

N130WN

Well Known Member
I just fit the exhaust to my TMX IO360 parallel valve engine, and I'm now looking where the heat muff might go. Off #1 is the easy answer, but would make for some crazy-long scat runs. It looks like it might work off the number #4 pipe, but it would barely clear the sump and the neighboring #2 pipe. If it works, the scat runs would be much nicer. Has anyone done it?

Depends

Which sump set up do you have?..On my FWF sump there was now way it would go on #4..So mine is on #1

Frank

I did this a few months ago with the same set up that you have (plus cold air induction) on an RV7 at my shop. Not sure where you live but you can never have too much heat. Do yourself a favor and put the muff on #1 pipe AND add another muff to 'the vertical' on #4 pipe. I came off of the rear of #3 baffle and ran to the muff on #1 pipe then ran the plumbing over to the muff on #4 pipe then to the firewall. Plenty of room to do this and you'll have LOTS of heat. Call Rick Robbins at http://www.robbinswings.com/ (he makes the ones for Van) and tell him you want the same set up that he made for me. I had the muff inlets/outlets clocked for this arrangement and a custom 'shorty' muff for the #4 vertical pipe. I promise that you will NOT regret doing this!

By the way...this was for Darren Kerns new RV7. He'll have it back from 'John The Painter' in a couple weeks. Just wait till you see this airplane ;)!!!

My two cents :).

I just fit the exhaust to my TMX IO360 parallel valve engine, and I'm now looking where the heat muff might go. Off #1 is the easy answer, but would make for some crazy-long scat runs. It looks like it might work off the number #4 pipe, but it would barely clear the sump and the neighboring #2 pipe. If it works, the scat runs would be much nicer. Has anyone done it?

Back