What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430W stuck in tray

JKevin

Well Known Member
Over the weekend I needed to remove my 430W and tray for some wiring as part of an avionics upgrade. The unit was installed by someone else a few years, and has never been removed from the tray.

After loosening the retention screw, the cam comes out of the way, and the radio can be pulled out about 1/2" before coming to a hard stop. It doesn't feel like a bind, but a solid metal-to-metal end point. It is hard to see much in / around the tray, but nothing seems amiss.

The APIA who installed the unit looked it over and didn't find anything else, he does a fair bit of avionics work and has never seen such.

Anyone run into similar / have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Cam is most likely hitting the panel cutout, run into this all the time, it’s caused by improper tray mounting.

Thanks, I am not at the airplane so will look again. ***If memory serves***, though, there is actually no panel in front of the mounting tray; the unit sits about 1/4" over the second com radio, I remember seeing the cam and the bottom of the tray and there is no obstruction there. I will look again.

Cam has two lobes?

Most I am familiar with has two lobes at 90* -- after sliding 1/2 inch, turn the screw another half turn.

Still stuck...

Most I am familiar with has two lobes at 90* -- after sliding 1/2 inch, turn the screw another half turn.

I was hopeful this was the issue, I do remember the cam having two lobes. So I rushed to the airport tonight to check... No joy. Both cams come out of the way, there is still a hard stop.

It's hard to localize sounds in the confines of the cockpit, but it sounds as if the "thunk" is coming from the rear of the unit.

Thanks for everyone who commented, would appreciate any other suggestions if you have experienced this issue.

Kevin

Mounting Screw?

Could there be a screw sticking into the tray? Maybe a mounting screw for something else near the radio stack.

Do you have any avionics above or below the 430? If so, remove those units and see if that helps. It can also provide additional viewing angles to see what is interfering with the removal of the 430.

Garmin's tray is about (a red you-know-what hair) wider than many instrument panel cutouts. This causes it to bow slightly. That coupled with any amount of pressure on the back of the tray can make it so that once the cam lobe is no longer pushing the unit out of the tray connector, there's not enough leverage to overcome the tension.

If the back of the tray is anchored to the aircraft substructure, you may need to loosen it to reduce the tension on the tray.

Last edited:
Try

Try pushing from back. My tray was scraping on the sides due to slightly deformed tray as Walt said.

Back