What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instead of priming

hamblin10

I do understand the whole debate about not having to prime the internal structure since there is an alclad surface and there is merit to priming it also. Has anybody considered NOT priming and instead applying corrosion x to the internal area?

Corrosion X was applied to my Warrior wings in about 1986. The rivets never stopped weeping. Do it only if you need it.

My 1953 Cessna 195 has no internal primer and no corrosion. The best corrosion inhibitor is to fly the plane. I do spray ACF-50 every few years.

Eric

If you are young, and going to keep the aircraft for a long time, go ahead and prime. It will make you feel better.

Otherwise, only prime the non alclad parts.

Priming everything just adds weight, takes time, costs money and doesn't add
a whole lot to the resale value.

My opinion only. I've done a few and only primed the first one.

Carr

Corrosion X is used as a poor bandaid for aircraft not properly primed.

Carl

Really? What about all the 60+ year old Cessnas and pipers that were never primed?

CorrosionX is no substitute for priming if you choose to prime but the question is, “Do you want an airplane that will last 74+ years or 100+ years”?

Some thoughts from a previous post

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=197941&highlight=dinitrol

Post #4. None of the above is anecdote. It is the result good methodology. Make fun of me if you want but fogging an airframe is some of the cheapest insurance you can buy. Don't like the potential pound(s) of added weight? Go lite on breakfast the days you fly. Don't want the weep? Dintrol AV-8 is a great product.

BTW. I prime as well. RVs are simple airframes but there's still areas that are next-to-impossible to inspect. I'll continue to fog anything I own. Just sayin'.

Cheers boys

Last edited:
The reason to apply Corrosion X after you paint is because it will "weep" continually for years after applying and new paint will not stick (at least not well). The point of the X is to create a protective barrier between the metal surface and the air, so it is not surprising that paint or anything else you add will not adhere well.

So apparently it works. My brother and I applied it to an old Cessna 170 many years ago and when we sold the plane it was still weeping, and not out of sadness ;).

Chris

The benefit of Corrosion sprays is that they stay there and weep and that is the bad thing about them.
Same here, I sprayed my old C-206 and HOLY BATMAN. I was wiping it off the joints till I sold it about 10 years later.
Forget painting if you sprayed before painting. It will weep for years.
Art

Back