What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Smart Glide Feature Release - Software 8.91 Available 9/8/2021

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Afternoon,

G3X Touch software version 8.91 was posted to the Software Download Area today. Among several background improvements and new features which are detailed below, we are happy to include Garmin Smart Glide in this software revision. Revision S of the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide is now available, which includes a comprehensive overview of the operation of this feature, starting on page 421. The Pilot's Guide can be downloaded here.

Several system LRU's will be updated with this software load, the software download page includes a detailed LRU software change list. Cross-referencing the System Information page in configuration mode, please ensure each LRU is successfully updated to the appropriate software level upon completion of the software load.

Note: Software version 8.91 includes an updated audio database to support Smart Glide, which has failed to extract properly on a few systems.
Once this software update has been completed, please enter G3X Touch configuration mode, open the Sound menu, and test that all alert and message tones can be heard by pressing Test. If any abnormalities exist, contact Garmin Experimental support at 1-866-854-8433. For the time being we will backload the system to software version 8.81 to correct the problem, with a permanent solution to follow.

FIS-B Weather Datapath - A Bluetooth connection will no longer be required to receive the full complement of FIS-B weather products from several Garmin ADS-B receivers. All weather products will now be transmitted via RS-232 to the GDU. This requires GTX software 2.60+, which is currently fielded. The GDL 5X Series and the GNX 375 will also receive a software update in the near future that will facilitate this.

TOD/BOD Identifier From GTN Xi Navigator - With GTN Xi software 20.21, TOD (Top of descent) and BOD (Bottom of descent) will be displayed on a connected G3X Touch map page to indicate entry and exit points for GTN Xi driven VNAV descent profiles.

Vertical Speed Data Bar Field - Vertical Speed can now be displayed on a dedicated Data Bar field.

Multiple Armed Flight Director Modes - This software update allows the APPR and VNAV flight director modes to be armed simultaneously. This will allow the pilot to arm APPR mode earlier in the flight than possible in past software versions. The "Transition to Approach" configuration setting should be enabled on the GTN Navigator alongside this GDU software update. This setting can be found in GTN configuration mode, under GTN Setup > Navigation Features > Vertical Navigation.

Multiple%20Modes-XL.jpg

Flight Control System Monitoring - This feature enables the GMC 507 internal AHRS to be used as an additional means for monitoring AHRS data accuracy. This gives the GMC 507 the ability to disconnect the autopilot, if there is a disagreement between its internal sensors, and another ADAHRS LRU. This feature can be enabled in the Autopilot configuration menu. A pitch/roll calibration is required upon enablement, in addition to entering a yaw offset, if applicable.

Smart Glide Configuration Information:

Navigation Configuration Menu:
  • Smart Glide - Enables/Disables Smart Glide in a G3X Touch installation. This selection will not be present if either Vg or Sink Rate at Vg are not entered in the Aircraft configuration Menu.
Smart Glide Settings:
  • Runway Surface - Select that runway surface type the aircraft is capable of using.
  • Minimum Runway Length – The minimum runway length the aircraft is capable of using.
  • Circling Direction - Can be set to always initiate left or right hand turns during a glide descent. If left set to Auto, the system will choose the appropriate traffic direction if that information is available for a specific airport. If that information is not available, traffic direction will be determined based upon the orientation of the aircraft to the runway approach end.
Configurable Discrete Input Option:
  • Glide Activate - Can be used as an additional means to activate Smart Glide, by using a dedicated panel mounted switch. This input should be connected to a momentary pushbutton. A Garmin Smart Glide switch can optionally be used to activate this input (Garmin p/n 011-05930-00).

i-g8BhzC2.jpg

Please feel free to send over any questions that you may have.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
TOD/BOD?

Please clarify. Is the G3X TOD/BOD limited to the Xi navigators? This upgrade feature is not available on the non-Xi GTN650?

Justin
I know from discussions at Oshkosh that smart glide is not planned currently for the 2 inch navigators (175, 375 etc) but wondered if it is at least being considered when connected to an external display over MapMx or Connext such as the aera 760. Would be a great addition to the "nearest" function and synthetic vision page.
Thanks
Figs

Last edited:
Smart Glide Software Update

Unlike certified installations, Smart Glide in G3X Touch EAB installations is not dependent on an external navigator in any way.

Thanks,

Justin

Guides to approach end of best runway

I just read the smart glide info in the manual that just dropped at https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01754-00_s.pdf. The link to the G3X Touch manual is currently broken, but this link works.

G3xpert, it looks like smart glide will send you to the approach end of the best wind runway. Will it ever send you on a downwind approach to that point? If so does it calculate an altitude margin for you to do a tear drop reversal to land?

Discrete Input

Hi Justin -

Thanks for the update.

Can configurable discrete input optional button for smart glide be seen by G3X 8.91 software via GEA 24 J244 connector (where other discrete inputs are located)? Or are there designated pins for this on GMC507 or GDU 4XX? Will G3X install manual be updated as well?

Separate question - would GTX software 2.60+ for new FIS-B datapath load on my GTX 45R along with other LRU updates? I am currently installing my avionics/electrical.

Warm regards,

Drum

This is great stuff, loaded the SW in the 470's and 750Xi this morning with no issues, now I just have to go flight test it!

Separate question - would GTX software 2.60+ for new FIS-B datapath load on my GTX 45R along with other LRU updates? I am currently installing my avionics/electrical.

Unfortunately, no. The GTX software update only works from a laptop running the Garmin Service tool connected to the GTX via the USB Type A/B cable. Make sure you wire that in when you do your stack wiring...

TOD/BOD

Please clarify. Is the G3X TOD/BOD limited to the Xi navigators? This upgrade feature is not available on the non-Xi GTN650?

TOD/BOD can now be displayed on the G3X Touch map page, from a GTN Xi Navigator. There are changes that had to be made on the Navigator side, which we were able to work into the release of software version 20.21.

Thanks,

Justin

Equipment Requirements

Justin
I know from discussions at Oshkosh that smart glide is not planned currently for the 2 inch navigators (175, 375 etc) but wondered if it is at least being considered when connected to an external display over MapMx or Connext such as the aera 760. Would be a great addition to the "nearest" function and synthetic vision page.
Thanks
Figs

Figs,

The GTN Xi series navigators are the only external navigators that support Smart Glide at this time. The only other option is to use a G3X Touch display which would allow you to use the Native G3X Touch version of Smart Glide.

Thanks,

Justin

Glide Runway Selection

I just read the smart glide info in the manual that just dropped at https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01754-00_s.pdf. The link to the G3X Touch manual is currently broken, but this link works.

G3xpert, it looks like smart glide will send you to the approach end of the best wind runway. Will it ever send you on a downwind approach to that point? If so does it calculate an altitude margin for you to do a tear drop reversal to land?

Smart Glide will navigate to the approach end of what is estimated to be the best runway, the details of this determination are included in the updated G3X Touch Pilot's Guide. Once the glide waypoint is reached, the system will initiate a series of descending turns, the direction of which is determined by the configuration settings mentioned above. There is no approach component involved, it is up to the pilot to maneuver the aircraft for landing once the airport environment is reached.

Thanks,

Justin

XPDR Update

Hi Justin -

Thanks for the update.

Can configurable discrete input optional button for smart glide be seen by G3X 8.91 software via GEA 24 J244 connector (where other discrete inputs are located)? Or are there designated pins for this on GMC507 or GDU 4XX? Will G3X install manual be updated as well?

Warm regards,

Drum

Drum,

Yes you can configure one of your GEA 24 discrete inputs for Glide Activate. There will be an updated Installation Manual released shortly, but the post above provides all of the details you will need to get going, from an installation/configuration standpoint.

No, the transponder is not updated by the G3X Touch. Garmin dealers are set up to run transponder updates as needed, and we try to get as many transponders updated as we can for our experimental customers for free, at our booth at both Oshkosh and Sun N' Fun.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin, Are any plans to modify the non-Xi GTN navigators so the Navigator’s TOD and BOD will be displayed on the experimental G3X? Also, are there plans to change that same software to display the user defined VNAV altitude at the atk?

So is this the first clue that the GTN 650/750 are going to be left out of any future improvements or will the upgrades for the GTN Xi trickle down to the GTN units?

There are changes that had to be made on the Navigator side, which we were able to work into the release of software version 20.21.
Justin,

Will the TOD/BOD changes be worked into a future non-Xi GTN software release?

Dave

I updated my G3X displays this morning. PFD2, MFD, and then PFD1. PDF1 loaded the software, rebooted, and then hung on the "Please wait" screen. Called and talked to Mike @ Garmin and he had me cycle the power. This triggered pushing the update out to my G5 (which appeared to be the cause of the hang) and other LRUs. No other issues, just an FYI it may hang and rebooting took care of the issue (and completed the update).

Does my G3x touch need to be running on internal navigation to use glide feature. I normally use my GTN650 as external nav.
If internal g3x navigation is necessary to utilize feature, it becomes an awful lot of button pushing in a presumably tense situation.
Thanks,
Tom H.

Figs,

The GTN Xi series navigators are the only external navigators that support Smart Glide at this time. The only other option is to use a G3X Touch display which would allow you to use the Native G3X Touch version of Smart Glide.

Thanks,

Justin

Does my G3x touch need to be running on internal navigation to use glide feature. I normally use my GTN650 as external nav.
If internal g3x navigation is necessary to utilize feature, it becomes an awful lot of button pushing in a presumably tense situation.
Thanks,
Tom H.

Tom,

Your G3X Touch system can be using either internal flight planning, or external flight planning when you activate Smart Glide, and the system will automatically handle the switch over to internal flight planning as needed.

I did all of my Smart Glide testing with external flight planning active on a GNX 375, and the switch-over to internal flight planning when Smart Glide was activated was automatic.

Good stuff!

Steve

I updated my G3X displays this morning. PFD2, MFD, and then PFD1. PDF1 loaded the software, rebooted, and then hung on the "Please wait" screen. Called and talked to Mike @ Garmin and he had me cycle the power. This triggered pushing the update out to my G5 (which appeared to be the cause of the hang) and other LRUs. No other issues, just an FYI it may hang and rebooting took care of the issue (and completed the update).

By cycling off the power, did you just power the master off and on or power off and let the system reboot again keeping the SD. Are in?

Approach end navigation

I finally got Smart Glide installed and tried it just a bit. To turn it on, turns out its under Navigation after booting in Configuration Mode. The glide ratio and glide speed should have previously been configured under airspeeds (Aircraft, Reference Speeds).

So it does look like it will set you up on a downwind over the approach end. I was kind of hoping it would set you up to go tangent to a circle (of standard rate or so in diameter) placed tangent to the approach end of the runway. That way you could do a 180 turn to land just by following the circle.

It's just a matter of adjusting expectations. Need to start maneuvering a mile away in some case.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

I updated today and interested to see the new features. I did my 2nd screen first and got a "do not power off" note. That stayed on for about 10 min after it looked like everything was done. I changed the SD card to my main screen and it loaded - took a while but eventually everything loaded and the messages went away.

Thanks for the updates. I am amazed I am still able to update a 6+ year old system with the latest shinola!

By cycling off the power, did you just power the master off and on or power off and let the system reboot again keeping the SD. Are in?

He had me do a soft reboot (SD card was removed). I had waited 40 minutes before calling Garmin.

Just a FYI. I have a G3X Touch with a TruTrak Vizion A/P. I loaded the new 8.91 software and Smart Glide and did a test flight. I had a flight plan loaded and the A/P engaged actively following my flight plan. Pulled power to idle and engaged Smart Glide. I am happy to report if immediately turned to the best airport and adjusted to best glide speed. Once I reached the airport, I received a voice command to disconnect the A/P. Very happy with the new feature.

Just downloaded the update and gave it a test flight. Download took about 1 min in each display, and test flight worked perfectly with the 375 engaging immediately.
Free upgrades like this make me very happy that I spent the extra $$ on Garmin.

Audio alerts INOP after upgrade to v8.91

[Sent to G3Xpert email as well]

I upgraded my G3X system to v8.91 and have found that some of the audio alerts are INOP. They were working properly prior to upgrade.

My G3X is connected to the GTR200 via AUX2. The AOA alerts work as expected, but I’m not receiving any minimums or altitude excursion alerts.

In the sound setup page, toggling the “test” buttons for Alert Volume, Message Volume, and Altitude Alert Volume do not produce any sound. All these are set at 100% volume. The AOA test button works from the sound page, and AOA alerts normally in flight.

Anyone else seeing this?

TOD/BOD can now be displayed on the G3X Touch map page, from a GTN Xi Navigator. There are changes that had to be made on the Navigator side, which we were able to work into the release of software version 20.21.

Thanks,

Justin

When will Version 20.21 be available on the download site? I'm chomping at the bit to get everything loaded:).....

Are there any configuration changes required to get the ADS-B weather products transferring via RS-232? I have installed GDU software 8.91 and my GTX 45R says it is at version 3.13. The lightning and other items are making it to my MFD via Bluetooth but not to the PFD. The PFD does receive the older weather products like Nexrad. What am I missing?

Update Questions

Are there any configuration changes required to get the ADS-B weather products transferring via RS-232? I have installed GDU software 8.91 and my GTX 45R says it is at version 3.13. The lightning and other items are making it to my MFD via Bluetooth but not to the PFD. The PFD does receive the older weather products like Nexrad. What am I missing?

You will need GTX Main Software 2.60, which includes ADS-B software 3.22. Other than that, there are no configuration changes required.

When will Version 20.21 be available on the download site? I'm chomping at the bit to get everything loaded:).....

GTN Xi software 20.21 will be posted and available for download this week.

Thanks,

Justin

You will need GTX Main Software 2.60, which includes ADS-B software 3.22. Other than that, there are no configuration changes required.
Thank you. I guess the ADS-B page on the G3X shows the ADS-B software level of the GTX rather than the main software level. (That makes sense, of course. And I should have guessed it, given Garmin's penchant for having multiple different version numbers simultaneously on the same device.)

You will need GTX Main Software 2.60, which includes ADS-B software 3.22.
Hi Justin,

Would you confirm that GTX Main 2.60 comes with ADS-B 3.22? I had 2.60 installed in June and my logbook entry from the avionics shop shows ADS-B 3.21.

Dave

Yes, main SW did not change:

SERVICE BULLETIN (Aug 26, 2021)
NO.: 2178 Rev B
GTX 45R/GTX 345 Series ADS-B Software Version 3.22

Justin,

other then SnF or Osh, is there another access to get the GTX 45R updated?

Transponder Software Update

Justin,

other then SnF or Osh, is there another access to get the GTX 45R updated?

You will need a Garmin Dealer to process the Transponder update. We do not have any way for individual owners/installers to update transponder software.

Thanks,

Justin

You will need a Garmin Dealer to process the Transponder update. We do not have any way for individual owners/installers to update transponder software.

Thanks,

Justin

If you have a GTX45R, pull up to my hanger with your dongle hanging out, I'll do it for free!

Last edited:
Test flight today

Today was my first chance to do a test flight. I engaged it at about 9500 ft and let Smart Glide control the plane down to about 5000. I had to break out of the glide due to heavy clouds but I could see that I was on a glide path to the expected airport.

I like the way it displayed potential “glide to” airports as I was enroute.

One improvement that I would like to see is Auto switch back to External Navigation. It took me a minute to figure out why the G3X waypoint did not change when I put a new destination airport in the GTN. I had to do a little menu surfing to get the G3X back to External NAV.

+1 for the external nav switchback

I had the same experience. I assume they didn't do it because they thought we'd be on the ground at the end. However, a switch back would be good incase you activate it and for some reason change our mind, (i.e. test run, solved whatever reason you first engaged it, got engine restarted etc.)

Steve

While not exactly this - My audio alerts have changed in tone/pitch/voice? They are still there, but now sound slightly different.

I noticed this too after upgrading to the latest G3X Touch software. Notably, the lady saying "500" on approach. It sounds like a low quality MP3 with the bass removed.

One improvement that I would like to see is Auto switch back to External Navigation. It took me a minute to figure out why the G3X waypoint did not change when I put a new destination airport in the GTN. I had to do a little menu surfing to get the G3X back to External NAV.

Same here. It wasn't until my second test glide that I realized the nav source had switched to internal and I would have to switch back to external manually.

This of course would only be relevant if you got the engine going again. It should be in your emergency checklist that if the engine restarts switch navigation back to external.

Audio Callouts.

Same experience here -- the "500" call-out is noticeably different than it was before. Obstacle, Sinkrate, Pull Up, etc. all seem the same however.

I tried it today and everything worked well. Nice feature. Two questions for the brain trust. I now am not getting an audible alert when I disconnect my auto pilot. This changed when I updated to 8.91. Anyone know why and how to fix? Also, the last software update allows for ADAHRS and G5 comparisons and apparently an alert if this miscompare is significant. The G3X touch manual states that you can switch from primary to your backup ADAHRS(G5). Does anyone know how to make this switch without pulling circuit breakers?

Thanks for the help

Kevin

... I now am not getting an audible alert when I disconnect my auto pilot. This changed when I updated to 8.91. Anyone know why and how to fix?

I had the same problem with the audio alerts ... all were broken, except for AoA, including the test buttons in the setup page. I've been talking with G3Xperts about this, but no resolution why yet.

I reverted to 8.81 and the audio alerts returned to what I had prior to the upgrade to 8.91.

You can revert by pushing in the button on the right side rotational selector, turning on power, and inserting a SD card with 8.81. Hold till the SW loader starts. It will load what's on the SD regardless of what's installed in the unit.

Last edited:
All of the audio alerts, including AOA, traffic, terrain, obstacle, altitude alert, altitude callouts, and autopilot tones are working the same in my aircraft as they did before installing V8.91.

For those having an issue, you should check the alert audio input threshold for the device receiving the alert audio from the GDU 4XX PFD (e.g. audio panel or GTR 200), and, of course, check the alert volumes on the PFD Sound setup page.

Also check that the alert source and alert output are setup like this.

G3XTouchAlertAudio.png

The 500 ft altitude callout does sound different that it used to, but there are now new altitude callouts used with Smart Glide, so the 500 ft callout has probably changed. When I activated Smart Glide at 5,000 ft AGL, I had altitude callouts at each 1,000' down to the surface in addition to the standard 500 ft callout.

Steve

Rick,

You probably know this, but it doesn't take any "menu surfing" to switch back to External flight planning.

Just rotate the outer knob on the MFD page a couple of clicks to get to the flight plan page, touch the FPL Source button, and select "External GPS".

FPL Page.png

Steve

Audio Database Update

We amended the post above to address some of the audio database problems we have seen during this update process.

Software version 8.91 included an updated audio database to support Smart Glide, which has failed to extract properly on a few update cycles.

Once this software update has been completed, please enter G3X Touch configuration mode, open the Sound menu, and test that all alert and message tones can be heard by pressing Test. If any abnormalities exist, contact Garmin Experimental support at 1-866-854-8433. For the time being we will backload the system to software version 8.81 to correct the problem, with a permanent solution to follow.

Thanks,

Justin

Back