What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-200 BrainTrust

N42AH

Well Known Member
Need the help of those who have or have had a VP-200.

1. When going from preflight mode page to start mode page the battery contactor does not engage, so I can't start the aircraft. I have a master switch which allows me to activate the master contactor and start the aircraft. Also with the aircraft running, without the master switch turned on, the battery won't charge...obvious issue when the contactor won't engage. But, the contactor tests OK.

2. The below screenshot, to me tells me the battery contactor has failed, or indicates it has failed...but again the contactor tests OK and functions correctly when the master switch is turned on. With the master switch tuned on the below screen shot is the same except the alternator is functioning correctly putting out 14.2 volts..

Screenshot didn't post...give me a minute to make that happen.

All comments and suggestions welcome

Last edited:

IMG_3468.JPG

Last edited:
Steve,

I have a VP-200 in my 10. My first thought would be to check the wire and connections from the control unit to the battery contactor. It should go to ground to close the contactor, so you may not be getting a good connection somewhere. A quote from the Operating Manual is below.

"A main bus/battery contactor failure is detected when there is no voltage on the CU power lug, when there should be. This can be caused by several things:

1. The battery contactor itself fails in a manner so it can't close
2. The cable from the battery contactor to the CU is loose or not attached
3. The cable from the battery to the battery contactor is loose or not attached
4. The wire that controls the battery contactor is loose or not attached

The battery contactor failure can only be cleared by fixing the problem and turning the system off, then back on. When the battery contactor is failed, the All Auto function, which sets all of the devices to automatic, is disabled. Also note that any hard-wired backup circuits that are on will remain on during a battery contactor failure."

I don't have a master switch in mine, so there may be something related to the installation of that switch.

Hopefully it's a simple connection problem.

Todd

Simple Connection Problem...I hope

Todd,

Thanks for the reply. Always amazes me, that even when reading and searching documents what I miss. And I missed this in the ops manual. A second set of eyes is always good, which is why I like VAF.

I think my next step is troubleshooting the wire from the CU to the master switch, since there is only a single wire attached to the main battery contactor and the master switch works.

Make sure you look at any connectors really close. Sometimes they can seem connected, but aren't.

Good luck.

Steve,

I'm not sure why you have a master switch, that's not part of the recommended install. And I'm not sure how you wired it. So I can't say what's happening since your wiring appears to be non-standard.

However, if the CU power lug is not getting voltage, then the reasons listed earlier are the things to check. Hope you find it is one of those!

VP-200

Marc,

Since I purchased the aircraft built I have what I have. The master switch is attached to the connector wire J5 pin5 in parallel. I have ordered and currently waiting for a new master connector to replace the old one, although it appears that the old one is working correctly when tested.

When I pulled the J5 pin 5 out of the connector and took it to ground it activated the master connector. The same as the master switch also does. So that eliminates any wiring breaks/issues from the pin to the master connector.

The CU is getting power thru the E bus prior to attempting to start. When I activate the green power switch, the display unit powers up eventually showing the master connector error/fault. I'll double check to make sure the power lug is also getting power.

If after replacing the master connector and it still fails, do you have any suggestions? And as a last ditch effort, I do have 3 spare CU's if it is necessary to swap the installed one out.

Just seems odd that this has failed without any obvious cause after being so reliable. But stuff happens.

Steve,

I'll echo what Marc said in that I'm not sure what your master switch is for, or how it is wired.

You mentioned that it is in parallel with the J5 pin 5. If so, it seems to me that could possibly cause some possible issues because the master contactor could be on when the control unit doesn't expect it to be.

My suggestion would be to remove the master switch altogether. The green power button is the master switch. I'm no expert on the VP-200, but Marc is. :)

Good luck!

VP-200

I've owned the aircraft for 3 plus years and before that Jesse Saint owned the aircraft since it was built in 2006, his dad Steven Saint built the aircraft. I don't know when they put in the VP-200 or the master switch for the current configuration.

The master switch has been there since my ownership of the aircraft. The master switch allows me to power up the aircraft (activate/close the master contactor) and operate the Dynon Skyview, boost pump, comm radio and landing lights independently of the VP-200 functionality if required (emergency/backup situation). The only thing missing is an external starter switch, which I would like to add (more emergency stuff if the VP-200 totally bites the bullet. This would allow me to at least get the aircraft home.

Hi Steve,

Yes, Jesse has put in a lot of VP products and does a nice job on the RV-10s.

We could discuss the value of such additional backups all day, but backups should be off of a battery bus, bypassing the master contactor.

In your case, if you hear the contactor close when shorting that wire (the master switch/J5-5 shorts the contactor coil to ground to activate it) that a positive sign but I recommend checking that you are getting voltage on the outbound side of the main contactor lugs. Disconnect the cable between the master and the CU, then measure the voltage when the contactor is closed.

The VP-200 will automatically activate the contactor when needed, but usually leaves it open during preflight. Once you've tried that, then put in another CU and try that. It will update the software and settings automatically, and be sure the CU select switch (small black switch on CU) is set properly.

PM me for further discussion....

Back