What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What would you do....?

Daida

Well Known Member
Okay, an engine found its way into my hangar (all legal!)

What i know:
-O-470 with all accessories
-not run in 15 years
-not pickeled for long time storage
-lay in the corner of the hangar (not climatized) 100 miles from the coast
-came of Cessna 182 crash landing, engine quit during decent after para-drop.
-engine turns easily by hand
-cylinder walls are corroded

What i don’t know:
-whether the engine was running or not on impact (shockloading?)
-exact engine designation
-history prior incident

-is there a market for this engine?

I don’t have the paperwork.

What i plan on doing:
-check whether the crankshaft ist straight or not
-decide from result if rebuild is worth it or sell parts individually.

What would you do???

Attachments

• 45C60B02-F68F-495F-8E0C-FEED650CEDED.jpeg
    45C60B02-F68F-495F-8E0C-FEED650CEDED.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 8B9D1595-2470-490C-9B0D-34398F4CFA4E.jpeg
    8B9D1595-2470-490C-9B0D-34398F4CFA4E.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 221
I'm not an engine guy at all, but it seems to me that the only red flag not listed is a prop strike. Not run, improperly stored, quit in flight last time it was run resulting in a crash landing, no logs, corrosion. Oh, and you have no history, so maybe you have the prop strike too. Sounds like a 425 pound paperweight/conversation piece.

Again, just the observation of a non expert.

I would tear it apart and send the part out for inspection. That inspection will let you know what to do next. Its either mostly trash, or you can rebuild it and have a quality engine. You can also sell the yellow tagged parts that pass inspection.

Edit- Just noticed you are in Germany. That might make it a little harder.

Last edited:
- disassemble
- check parts
- then decide what to do

Wo zum Henker hast Du das Teil jetzt her? Vom Flugzeugfriedhof geklaut?

Sell it to an airboat engine builder like Dick Waters as-is unless I wanted a project- then build it to sell to an airboater.

P.Ponk conversion donor

Check with 182 Forums..P.Ponk conversion converts an 0-470 into a ******* engine with 520 cylinders and different crank requiring full tear down and case rework. (makes a 182 almost RV fast to keep it RV related).

Kay, I think your plan, as outlined above, is the correct one. On the other hand, a sale as is would for sure be possible in the US, using eBay or Barstormers as platform. Better check on the shipping costs beforehand...

Wo zum Henker hast Du das Teil jetzt her? Vom Flugzeugfriedhof geklaut?
Das wollte ich ja auch fragen, passt aber sicher auch in der -8 oder :D

Dial the crank, pull the pan, take a look and take pictures of the cam and lifters. Sell it as a core for rebuild. Ought to be worth $3 to $5K. Prior log books are not important if you are using it as a trade in for a zero time factory engine.

if you were closer i would offer to buy from you.

seriously, you could offer it as a core for sale. based on what youve said, the only real useable parts are the case, crank, accessories. more rhan likely the cam and lifters are junk as well as the cylinders and pistons

If all other avenues fail, clean it up externally and use it as a base for a glass top coffee table. Great conversation piece.

Back