What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming damage in storage

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Looking at an O-360 with 512 hours that did not fly for 12 years. Without pulling a cylinder, what is the best method to inspect for corrosion? Run it hot and sample the oil for the lab? It has a screen instead of a filter so that is less useful. Any other ideas appreciated.... NC

Borescope? Find an A&P that has those skills. It's a relatively cheap place to start. You won't see the camshaft or lifters, but might give you an indication if the engine is a complete disaster.

Last edited:
Looking at an O-360 with 512 hours that did not fly for 12 years. Without pulling a cylinder, what is the best method to inspect for corrosion? Run it hot and sample the oil for the lab? It has a screen instead of a filter so that is less useful. Any other ideas appreciated.... NC

Best method is to pull one cyl. and use the opening in the case to bore scope everything inside. The surfaces of the cam in particular.

Thanks!

Great replies. Might ferry this engine attached to an airframe...
Does anyone know if a screen equipped O-360 has the possibility of examining the screen after an hour or so of running (without draining the oil)???
I really don't have confidence in a conditional that just says "screen checked and fine"
No filter to cut.... that will be rectified soon with a filter adapter, but probably after the ferry flight. The seller has not sent any samples in for analysis. I am a believer and do it with all my planes.
Pulling a cylinder at this rural airstrip is not looking promising due to lack of tools.
512 hours impresses the seller, but not me, when I look and see all the sitting years in the hangar.

engine is junk

I've had two bad experiences now with engines that sat idle for 3--4 years. Both in California too. (ambient humidity has little to do with it - it is the crankcase blow-by moisture left in the engine at last shut-down that causes the problem). Once you put it back into regular use, there will be a gradual loss of power as the lifters and cam eat each other. It can take 6 mo. or a year for the problem to get severe after putting back in service.

Honestly - I would consider the engine junk until proven otherwise, and negotiate price accordingly. The only way to really prove it is to pull a cylinder. If the seller is not convinced, let it go and find a different airplane to buy.

without pulling a cyl there is no way to tell. I have had two engines that sat. both within a few miles of each other, both in a hanger. the first is the one on my 4. it sat on the stand in my hanger for probably three years. has been running great for the last 18 years, with no work to it. the other is on my warrior, sat for 4 or 5 years in a hanger not to far away. 650hrs since major with new cam and lifters. brought it back to life and had to rebuild it in less than 20 hrs. its a **** shoot with any engine.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

without pulling a cyl there is no way to tell. I have had two engines that sat. both within a few miles of each other, both in a hanger. the first is the one on my 4. it sat on the stand in my hanger for probably three years. has been running great for the last 18 years, with no work to it. the other is on my warrior, sat for 4 or 5 years in a hanger not to far away. 650hrs since major with new cam and lifters. brought it back to life and had to rebuild it in less than 20 hrs. its a **** shoot with any engine.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Had your RV-4 engine run before storage, or was it a fresh build? Big difference. Key is getting the blow-by moisture from the last time it was run out of it right away and then coat everything with oil.

Had your RV-4 engine run before storage, or was it a fresh build? Big difference. Key is getting the blow-by moisture from the last time it was run out of it right away and then coat everything with oil.

salvage engine straight from wentworth. pulled from running plane and shipped to me.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

ambient humidity has little to do with it - it is the crankcase blow-by moisture left in the engine at last shut-down that causes the problem)

I have the feeling this is correct. Nowadays after landing I put a battery-powered air-mattress inflator on the oil filler and blow out the moisture for about 30 secs. Even after flying for a hour, visible moisture will come out of the breather and you know that if that engine sits in a cold hangar, it would have condensed on the cam and lifters and contaminated the oil. You will see the moisture in this video.
https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/?do=findComment&comment=66788
It also reduces the oily residue in your dehydrator if you a using one.

I have the feeling this is correct. Nowadays after landing I put a battery-powered air-mattress inflator on the oil filler and blow out the moisture for about 30 secs. Even after flying for a hour, visible moisture will come out of the breather and you know that if that engine sits in a cold hangar, it would have condensed on the cam and lifters and contaminated the oil. You will see the moisture in this video.
https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/?do=findComment&comment=66788
It also reduces the oily residue ...purging and dehydrating seems likely to help.

Back