What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Systems routing in wing for GAP 26 Pitot/AoA

Due to poor planning on my part I finished my Wing Kit before finalizing my panel plans and am now going back to replace the OEM pitot tube (bent aluminum tubing) with Garmin's GAP 26 Pitot/AoA probe which I've installed in the bay just outboard of the aileron bellcrank in the left wing.

Looks pretty simple to use the 3/8" snap bushings from the OEM tubing to lead the wires from the heater elements back to the wing root, but I haven't decided how to best route the twin tubes for the pitot and AoA.

Thinking about busting out the step drill and cutting some new systems holes in the ribs for some 3/4" snap bushings, but getting to those 3 innermost ribs doesn't look like it'll be very easy with the step drill.

Any suggestions will be welcome as to how to best address this issue.

Also, what is the best flush type filler/plug to close up the 7/16" or 1/2" hole in the skin where I'm removing the OEM bulkhead fitting?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I was watching your post because I'm dealing with something similar. I have QB wings and I'm adding more wiring in the right wing than Van's provided holes for (separate taxi light & GMU 22 in the right wingtip). I dove in and dealt with the issue today and, at least for me, it wasn't so bad as I was making it out to be. In my case, I'm drilling an existing 3/16" hole up to 1/2". I'd like to have gone to 5/8" but I would be losing edge distance relative to the second lightening hole (right behind the holes used by the aileron pushrod). The only problem ribs are the middle two underneath the wing walk. The root rib can be accessed without any problem and all of the rest can be reached from access holes (in my case, the outer bottom skin is not in place yet but you've got access holes that will get you close to all of the other ribs). This may not work for you going to a 3/4" hole but I used 12" bits to drill the first three ribs from the root. However, once you get up to about 1/2", there might be sufficient room to get a step drill into the hole and drive it with a right angle attachment, perhaps driven by a small electric drill/driver. Definitely had some awkward deburring to deal with but not impossible (did much of it with a grinding bit in a Dremel flex shaft).

Good luck!

I added another set of 1/2" holes in the 4 inboard-most ribs (under the wingwalk) using a step drill. I first used a #30 drill bit to start the inboard-most hole, then up-drilled with a 1/2" step drill; then drilled the second rib with a 12" #30, then step-drilled ... until all 4 were done. Get a 1/2" step drill that has a hex shank, and you can use extenders to reach the 2nd-4th ribs.

_Alex

Back