What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Interior Paint Quantities

Meat

Patron
Hi All,
I’m getting ready to paint the interior of my RV-14 with a HVLP gun. I plan on using Stewart Systems EkoPrime primer and EcoCrylic for the top coat. I’m trying to figure out how much I’ll need of each. 1 quart each? 2 quarts each? It’s not cheap. I want enough to get the basic interior done without running out. But not so much that I’ve got a lot left over. I’ll buy more later as needed for the seats, access covers, etc. Thanks for your time and any input.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott,

While I can't tell you exactly how much paint I used on my -14 interior, I can tell you that I purchased a gallon of JetFlex. What I found is that the purchase of the gallon wasn't much more expensive than buying 2 quart cans. In addition, if you buy a gallon, there is no worry about a paint mismatch between the two cans, spills, or other well planned errors we manage to make as amateur painters.

When complete, I learned that while I have a significant amount left, there is quite a bit lost in testing, touch up, over spray, and what's left in the sprayer (or airbrush), etc. after a painting session.

To answer your question straight up, I believe that two quarts would probably do the job. The inside of the fuse is important, but don't forget what you'll need to paint the inside of the canopy, seat backs, etc. It would be a shame to run out and have to pay the freight all over again and then hope the paint matches.

Paint

Mine is a 7A but data points may help.
I used two quarts of Jet Flex SB. Two colors. I still have some left. One a little more than the other. One color solves that problem. I have a Epoxy/Paint Calculator on my blog. It really helps reduce waste. A little tweaking to your and product will be needed. It may go without saying but don't paint areas no one will ever see.

Back