What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyleds Position/Strobe Wiring Help

Jim62

I'm trying to wire the control board into the stock Van's/Stein harness using Flyleds position/strobe lights with a Van's tail strobe.

If you have done this please let me know how you did it. I've read all of Flyleds manuals, emailed Paul, talked with Stein Air, had my tech counselor look at it and it's not getting through my thick head. The simple answer is that I need the board to control the wing strobes but not the tail...simple.

When the rubber meets the road and I start looking for wires to splice and where to put the board, it gets very convoluted. I don't want to get into too many of the specifics but if you've done this, please give me the details on the method you used.

Thanks,

Jim

By "Vans strobe", to you mean the AeroLED Nav/Strobe SunTail? If so, you'll just power it directly from the individual nav and strobe switches. The wingtip FlyLED nav lights can also be powered directly from the nav switch but the strobes, landing and taxi lights need to go through the control board. If you want the option to power the wing nav lights for extra taxi lighting, they will need to go through the control board.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Hi Jim
I hope my email replies made things clearer for you. Please reach out if they don't!

To close the loop for future searchers, yes you can continue to use the Van's/Aeroleds tail light along with a Flyleds wing kit, all while still using Van's harnesses. As mentioned above, it continues to be powered directly from the panel switches rather than via the Flyleds controller board

I have written a guide specifically covering integrating our kits with the RV-14 harnesses.

Back