What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bleeding RV-14 brakes

Jake14

Well Known Member
When I built the 14 I filled the brake system from the bottom up, Only took 10 min or so with a pump oiler. Never any problems for 3 years. Now I'm in the process of installing a Matco parking brake. I opened the bleeds and pumped out the fluid before connecting the parking brake valve. Now when I try to fill the system from the bleed valves there is back pressure which allows only a small amount of fluid in using a lot of force. The parking brake valve is positioned correctly. Does anyone know if there are check valves in the master cylinders on the 14 (like the rv-12) which would block backwards flow? Any idea what could be causing this?

Last edited:
Make certain the rudder pedals are not depressed at all (brake cylinder piston fully retracted). The first bit of travel closes a valve to the reservoir.

I just bled my brakes with a Matco parking brake installed also. It was a new installation and done the same as you described. No issues whatsoever, less than 10 minutes.

The IN and OUT lines reversed?

I had some problems with the initial filling and bleeding of my Beringer brake system.

It turned out I had the In and Out lines connected to the parking brake reversed.

Thanks for the replies...I attached some bungee cords to the top of the pedals to pull them back and that fixed the problem. I guess the return springs had lost some tension from the original build :)

Back