What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inboard wing rib ground lug holes - page 14-04 step 1

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I am looking for confirmation on something. My W-1010 ribs have a fairly large hole (I didn't measure it, but bigger than #19) in the exact position where page 14-04 step 1 and figure 1 show for the #19 ground lug hole to be drilled. Is that hole workable for the ground lug or is there some reason I should find another place and drill another hole?

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm curious about this as well, and I can't find anywhere in the plans that makes use of this hole.

Are you by chance looking at the forward hole RED CIRCLE vs the NEW hole GREEN CIRCLE in the attached Picture?

Attachments

• Ground hole.png
    Ground hole.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 235
I suggest you step back and decide how you want to run wires and pitot/AOA lines in your wings (and for that matter the rest of the plane).

The plans are written assuming you are using the Van’s wiring kit, and building an exact match to what they did. For me, I found when wiring an RV-14 that this approach was less than optimal.

The old school way (before the RV-14) where the builder planned ahead for what he wants may be a better. For example, you can avoid using the plethora of molex plugs that seem to be everywhere in the RV-14, or a wing ground lug.

Carl

Back