What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aveo Zip Tips

coenraad123

I am interested in the Aveo Zip Tips for my RV 14.

I have read some builder comments on the VAF and it seems like a great product but also with some headaches to the builders.

Can any RV 10/14 builders/flyers that ordered/purchased the Aveo Zip Tips give me some updates about these tips?

I have read that the company had some issues in 2016 with customer service and the production of the these tips. Some builders had problems with the way the tips fit.

I am interested in the Aveo Zip Tips for my RV 14.

I have read some builder comments on the VAF and it seems like a great product but also with some headaches to the builders.

Can any RV 10/14 builders/flyers that ordered/purchased the Aveo Zip Tips give me some updates about these tips?

I have read that the company had some issues in 2016 with customer service and the production of the these tips. Some builders had problems with the way the tips fit.

I can only comment from a -7 perspective, but I really like mine. I?m installing them now and I think that the fit and finished is excellent.

Mark

I think back in 2016 a few of us were having issues getting our hands on them. I ended up going a different route. They look cool though.

I put a set on our RV-10 at the end of 2017. Wingtip fitment was great, we mounted using piano hinge.

We had an issue with static on our radios after installing the lights which Aveo immediately took care of by replacing the LED modules with their "v5" modules. The only outstanding "issue" we have, and a very minor one at that, is that the lights take around .2-.3 seconds to turn on, so Wig-Wag within the VPX doesn't really work. I have to add a wire and switch at some point to get Wig-Wag working. Not high on my todo list right now.

Matt

I talked to Damien at Aveo this morning and I tell you, he loves to talk. Had a great conversation where he touched on that particular static issue.

He informed me that they are coming out with upgraded tips sometime this year.

I needed to get questions answered before I start ordering kits.

What did you end up doing with the cut outs for the landing lights in your wings?

Can you order your skins without the cut outs or is Van against that?

I have an early set for my 10 and like them, although haven't flown. They do have the upgraded LEDs in them so no noise on the radios. Fitment was great and quality of the glass is awesome. Damien is a stand up guy.

I have an early set for my 10 and like them, although haven't flown. They do have the upgraded LEDs in them so no noise on the radios. Fitment was great and quality of the glass is awesome. Damien is a stand up guy.

So far so good, Damien called me back within 30 minutes and he knows his products inside out. Glad to hear positive feedback on the company and products.
I guess the 14 uses the same tips as the 10, so it should fit great then.

What did you end up doing about the light holes that comes cut out in the leading edge of both wings?

What did you end up doing with the cut outs for the landing lights in your wings?

Can you order your skins without the cut outs or is Van against that?

The kit came with brand new wingtips, specially made to fit the LED modules.

The kit was the fiberglass wingtips themselves with integrated light in the back, fiberglas mounts that the modules mount to, the LED modules, and wiring connectors for the modules.

It was a "bolt on" as it gets I suppose. For me as a non-builder the hardest part was the fiberglass work. The mount needs to be fiberglassed into place inside the wingtip. It was challenging, but I had a friend help who build a glasiar. He thought it was a piece of cake.

Here's a gallery of a few pictures I took. The second picture shows the wingtip, LED module, and mount before they got put in the wingtip. The only thing I didn't get a picture of was the light in the back.

http://n926g.com/p/20171127-ziptips/

The kit came with brand new wingtips, specially made to fit the LED modules.

The kit was the fiberglass wingtips themselves with integrated light in the back, fiberglas mounts that the modules mount to, the LED modules, and wiring connectors for the modules.

It was a "bolt on" as it gets I suppose. For me as a non-builder the hardest part was the fiberglass work. The mount needs to be fiberglassed into place inside the wingtip. It was challenging, but I had a friend help who build a glasiar. He thought it was a piece of cake.

Here's a gallery of a few pictures I took. The second picture shows the wingtip, LED module, and mount before they got put in the wingtip. The only thing I didn't get a picture of was the light in the back.

http://n926g.com/p/20171127-ziptips/

Great job on the plane! I am for sure going with these tips, would like to find out from Van's if I can get leading edges without the cut outs for the lights.

Great job on the plane! I am for sure going with these tips, would like to find out from Van's if I can get leading edges without the cut outs for the lights.

Most RV-10's I've seen do not have a cut-out in the wing leading edge for the lights. I've always assumed if there is a cut-out, that the builder put it there. But, I have not reviewed plans for all of Van's models.

Curious about other's experience now with the ZipTips? I'm concerned if an LED fails. Are they easily replaced? I'm particularly concerned about the rear position LED's. They seem to be non-standard size and the integration means should an LED fail, I end up with an expensive non-lit fiberglass wingtip. Thanks.

Stigaro,

There is an access panel where you can remove the LED fixture in the tip. It’s not hard, but there is an order to it. Not sure about the trailing edge lights, but I think they can pop out and be replaced.

Stigaro,

There is an access panel where you can remove the LED fixture in the tip. It’s not hard, but there is an order to it. Not sure about the trailing edge lights, but I think they can pop out and be replaced.

This is all correct.
I have been running my nav lights and Wig-Wags constantly for 400 hours and no problems. These lights are incredibly bright, day or night.

Last edited:
Back