What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-14 panel

Hi all,
I thought I might share my progress on the RV-14 panel. I have fabricated some backlit "sub-panels" and I am very excited with the results! It's all homemade, using laser engraver paint, acrylic, and flexible LED strings.

showmy.php

showmy.php

showmy.php

Wow….that’s very nice!!

Finished! I think :)

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Note the coolest: TO/GA button inside the throttle lever in the center console :D

Last edited:
My FINAL....I think, v3.6 Panel

Putting power to it tomorrow for the first time. Hopefully, there won't be too much smoke!

Panel v3.6.jpg

Subpanel Wiring Top View All v3.6 Panel.jpg

Finished! I think :)

Note the coolest: TO/GA button inside the throttle lever in the center console :D

Nice panel! It has a bizjet/airliner look to it. Did DJM provide the throttle quadrant with the TOGA button, or did you do that mod yourself? How is the wiring routed down along the throttle lever to protect it from damage?

Also, do you have your seats done yet, and if so, what do you think about the placement of the throttle in the Aerosport console from an ergonomics perspective? I've been thinking about using this setup on my -14 but it looks like it's located further aft than ideal...but I haven't had a chance to sit in a -14 with that console & throttle to check out the ergonomics for myself. I'm also mulling the pros/cons of having to route the throttle/prop/mixt cables down through the tunnel along with everything else in there (not only the initial installation effort but long term maintenance aspects as well). Looks cool though!

Nice panel! It has a bizjet/airliner look to it. Did DJM provide the throttle quadrant with the TOGA button, or did you do that mod yourself? How is the wiring routed down along the throttle lever to protect it from damage?

Also, do you have your seats done yet, and if so, what do you think about the placement of the throttle in the Aerosport console from an ergonomics perspective? I've been thinking about using this setup on my -14 but it looks like it's located further aft than ideal...but I haven't had a chance to sit in a -14 with that console & throttle to check out the ergonomics for myself. I'm also mulling the pros/cons of having to route the throttle/prop/mixt cables down through the tunnel along with everything else in there (not only the initial installation effort but long term maintenance aspects as well). Looks cool though!

Hi Mark,

I fabricated the TOGA button from scratch. I have detailed pictures on my builder's blog if you want to check it out. I ran only 1 wire in the forward face of the throttle lever down through the lever slot. it is invisible and protected by the end travel point of the cable, which should not reach the end of the slot anyway. The ground is done with the body of the lever.

I really like the ergonomics of aerosport armrest and throttle. I think it should be stock in the RV14. :) it does not take space away and creates a comfortable separation between the pilot and co-pilot seats.

I haven't routed the actual control cables yet, but I honestly think it will be easier than the stock setup. there are fewer turns and the firewall passthrough is really well aligned with the center column.

I also moved the cowl flap lever to the center console (fuse box) with a straight cable downwards, through the old exhaust tunnel. much smoother operation than Vans stock design.

As far as maintenance goes, the armrest is removable and the throttles are not screwed to it. it is fixed to the cockpit floor. so maintenance is easy.

Check out the pics on my build log. I have many many pics there.

Reach out if any questions!

The only thing missing now is to cover the armrest with the same material as the side panels. (will ask Classic Aero to do it all for me)

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7j9A7KOpI&e=88ZqC30Qi&listcat=&sid=

Hard to tell from the photo... how far recessed into the throttle grip is the end of the pushbutton? I might be concerned about accidentally bumping it.

Hard to tell from the photo... how far recessed into the throttle grip is the end of the pushbutton? I might be concerned about accidentally bumping it.

The switch fits entirely inside the throttle handle. Could have done it fully recessed. But I decided to make it 1/4 inch past the handle side.

Ergonomically, doesn’t seem like easy to accidentally press it. The handle is far from the resting position of the right leg.

Time/usage will tell. But I can recess it later if needed.

Hola Carlos,

These are the same knobs used in 737 and other commercial airliners. The white stripe on the knob is actually transparent and lets light pass through. so we can see the knob position at night, without lights turned on in the cockpit.

I found a person on eBay selling a bunch of Boeing parts for home simulator rigs.

This is the e-bay seller I bought it from:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/carichristianson0809

And this is the model of the knob:

Korry Knob Boeing BP247-A1G2

Here is my Plan for Serial 140088 with help from SteinAir:Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 18.49.20.png
I am probably going to put the 507 on the center console however above the angled dash 7 fuel valve.

It’s very common, but what is the reason for the ignition breakers adjacent to the switches? Is it just to shorten wire runs?
It's common with P-Mags because you want to interrupt the power to each one to test the internal generator along with grounding the P-leads during the run-up.

Here is my Plan for Serial 140088 with help from SteinAir:View attachment 56899
I am probably going to put the 507 on the center console however above the angled dash 7 fuel valve.
MIg,
Just a couple thoughts - and, it may save you a few bucks (but check with Stein):
*The G5 may be unnecessary as I believe with two G3X's offer plenty of redundancy. I believe the G5 is generally installed in the config above (in conjunction with a G3x) so it can take over should the G3X display fail. The G5 can also take over 'directing' the Auto-Pilot. That said, I believe since you have a second G3x - the second G3X can be effectively configured as the back-up, in place of the G5. I would at least ask Stein about this. Maybe in your scenario, the G5 is essentially third in line? What I would rather have (I do have) in my plane is a different level of redundancy (vs the G5 batting third) - I'd opt for an iPad with a stratus with ADHRS. This way, you could lose the whole panel, but you'd still be able to navigate and follow an approach if necessary using foreflight and the stratus. The ipad (or even your iphone) will hold a charge for at least an hour to two, and the stratus will go for 8-12 hours. You would lose AP, but again, this set-up is the third batter - not your primary backup. If you remove the G5 - it gives you a nice place to put your iphone (ram mount). And, if you go to the small (7") G3x, you could mount an iPad on the rightside. This puts them both in convenient places where they are easy to see and use (put a usb outlet behind each so they can charge in flight).
BTW - I've had multiple panels (RV7 and RV14's) built by Jason at Aerotronics. He knows this stuff inside and out.

Another new RV-14 IFR AdvancedPanel. AF-5600 EFIS PFD-MFD, Avidyne IFD440, PS Engineering PDA360 Remote Audio Panel and Dynon Com Radio.

Van's just finished upgrading their original RV-14A to a Dynon HDX AdvancedPanel with our ACM-ECB. Van's factory RV-14A, RV-14, RV-7, RV-7A and RV-9A all have AdvancedPanels with our ACM-ECB.

Our plug-and-play AdvancedPanels are surprisingly affordable. We'd love to quote one for you.

49863643842_c8a9735c9c_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems / Dynon Avionics
I absolutely love this panel! My only modification was to add two seat heater switches in the upper right corner.

Back