What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Flight System (AFS) Panel

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
A significant milestone was reached this afternoon when power was applied to the panel. I will have confess that I was a bit anxious but it all lit up just fine.
I am very happy with the way it has turned out, Rob Hickman of Advanced Flight System (AFS) did a great job helping me design the layout and then building this "Plug and Play" avionics system.

Main features include:
1. Two AF-5600 Displays.
2. An Avidyne IFD540 FMS Navigator.
3. uAvionix AV-30 B/U EFIS and tailBeaconX
4. Dynon A/P
5. A PDA 360EX Audio Panel from PS Engineering.
6. SL-30 Nav/Com.
7. Control module for the SDS EFI/EI engine systems.

https://www.advancedflightsystems.com/

First%20Pwr%20up%20Apr.%2019th.%202021-XL.jpg

P1080964-L.jpg

P1080965-L.jpg

That looks great. How did you find the install process? I really like the ACS idea that Rob offers making it simpler to install, but curious if it’s as straight forward as they market it as.

Interested

That looks great. How did you find the install process? I really like the ACS idea that Rob offers making it simpler to install, but curious if it’s as straight forward as they market it as.

I'm interested as well. That is a very capable panel. Were there any items you had to power on a separate bus? Things not supported by the ACM?

AFS installation

Those are good questions and cannot be answered in a single sentence. As far ease of installation, it was a bit intimidating at first but when I got into it and became more familiar with the schematics supplied it really started to come together. Make no mistake there is still quite a lot of work to install this system but I was able to do it in just over two weeks from the day the box arrived to the first power up. I did make a few modifications here and there, shorten a couple of pre-made harness' where they were too long. I also eliminated a couple of Sub-D connectors in places where the wires could be routed more efficiently. This is not difficult but you do have to have the proper pins, wire strippers and crimpers.

Since I am installing the SDS EFI/EI the EMS will not be used to power this system. A separate dual fed Engine Bus will be installed north of the firewall to to power all engine related systems.

EMS vs ACM

Since I am installing the SDS EFI/EI the EMS will not be used to power this system. A separate dual fed Engine Bus will be installed north of the firewall to to power all engine related systems.

In the above statement I meant to say the ACM (Advanced Control Module) "will not be used to power this system"

The EMS-220 from Advanced is the "Engine Monitoring System) and it will be used for EGT, CHT, Oil Pressure and so on.

Quick Panel installation

I believe the Advanced Quick Panel is a huge time saver. Yes it is fairly straight forward and Rob Hickman and his team has been great and answering questions when needed.

Frst flight???

Hello Ivan,

That panel looks great! How log until you will be flying?

Marvin

Hi Marvin,
Well, it is hard to say but it will be at least 6 months. It will depend on how motivated I will be during the summer. If I don't get it flying before the snow flies this fall then I will likely postpone until next spring.

I believe the Advanced Quick Panel is a huge time saver. Yes it is fairly straight forward and Rob Hickman and his team has been great and answering questions when needed.

Just ordered my second Quick Panel for the Javron. Great folks, great product!

ACM

I'm working with them on a panel-less panel using the ACM. My panel is already fit. I just need to cut the holes. Their solution should save me a ton of time.

Ivan, I see you went from GRT in your RV-10 to an Advanced Panel in your RV-14. Can you tell me what went into that decision? As a first time builder, I am right in the middle of that decision. GRT has a very nice display with an open architecture, but Advanced, with the ACM and Panel build makes a sweet package. What are your thoughts?

AFS decision

Ivan, I see you went from GRT in your RV-10 to an Advanced Panel in your RV-14. Can you tell me what went into that decision? As a first time builder, I am right in the middle of that decision. GRT has a very nice display with an open architecture, but Advanced, with the ACM and Panel build makes a sweet package. What are your thoughts?

I struggled for quite a while trying to decide which system to go with. Obviously staying with the GRT system would give me instant familiarity. Stein did my GRT panel 11 years ago and did a great job but he is predominantly a Garmin man now and hasn't done a GRT panel in years.

Some years ago I traded in my Garmin 430W for an Avidyne IFD440 and really wanted to stay with it in the new panel. I am not fond of Garmin's proprietary policies and I wasn't comfortable with resale value of the airplane with a GRT panel so that was two companies off the table.

Between Dynon and AFS I chose AFS for various reasons. I have come to know Rob Hickman and the AFS line of avionics in recent years. His reputation for providing superb service and a great product is well known. Combine that with the fact that he can provide a very easy to install truly "plug and play" system utilizing the Advanced Control Module (ACM) was very attractive to me. The AFS EFIS' also will work with the uAvionix tailBeaconX which was a "must" for me. (Garmin and Dynon will not)

So far I am very happy the product and service from Rob and AFS. I am a ways from flying the RV 14-A and quite a bit of "learning the system" to do but I look forward to that process. Will be fun and isn't that what building and flying Experimental aircraft is all about.

A significant milestone was reached this afternoon when power was applied to the panel. I will have confess that I was a bit anxious but it all lit up just fine.
I am very happy with the way it has turned out, Rob Hickman of Advanced Flight System (AFS) did a great job helping me design the layout and then building this "Plug and Play" avionics system.

Main features include:
1. Two AF-5600 Displays.
2. An Avidyne IFD540 FMS Navigator.
3. uAvionix AV-30 B/U EFIS and tailBeaconX
4. Dynon A/P
5. A PDA 360EX Audio Panel from PS Engineering.
6. SL-30 Nav/Com.
7. Control module for the SDS EFI/EI engine systems.

https://www.advancedflightsystems.com/

First%20Pwr%20up%20Apr.%2019th.%202021-XL.jpg

P1080964-L.jpg

P1080965-L.jpg

Well Done!

I'd be interested in your settings. I have AFS5600 and am having trouble to get the IFD440 to interact with the AFS5600 properly. Already reached out to Advanced and they reproduced my problem and are working on a fix. Nevertheless, I would be curious what kind of settings you are using on both sides

Ive been using very advanced aviation product available in my rv10 since September 2015 and now have 1200 HOBBS. Rob Hickman service cannnot be understated. He will go to the end of the earth to help you. I cannot speak highly enough about Rob Hickman and his family.

Back