What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Lycoming 390 EXP 119 data

Wingit

I have been trying to find data found as a result of testing various system that lend to the final decisions as to induction and exhaust of the new 390 exp engine.
Back in July of last year there was a posting “We evaluated and tested multiple exhaust systems, induction systems and a variety of other ideas before settleing on the final configuration and “Vans worked with Lycoming in designing the new exhaust system used on the 390 exp 119. The vans provided exhaust is specifically designed for the application and makes a difference in optimizing power output.”

That being said I talked to Clint at Vetterman and he said that the trombone style exhaust system would produce the same results as the cross over exhaust. Also I talked to a Lycoming representative and he said that, “ either was good as long as it fit” and I talked to Vans technical support and was told that there was no comparative data.

I am confused by the information that I have gotten about the exhaust systems I like the simple and less cluttered trombone system and would prefer to use it but do not want to sacrifice performance I am hoping for a more definitive answer

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any information.

Dave Winters

390 exp 119 data

So Dave, has anyone come up with additional data over which exhaust system (Van's vs the Trombone)what is the "delta"? I'm in the process of installing the trombone system and seaching for the best location for the EGT probes. Is there anyone out there flying with the "Trombone" on the exp 119?

Back