What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

David Dollarhide Injured

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Last edited:
Just Got an Email

I just got an email from the local EAA chapter about today’s crash. I’ve met both pilots. Bob owns a couple of airplanes to include his latest build, a single seat Panther that looks much like an RV-3. They are both retired military pilots. I met them while I lived in Florida near Haller Airpark after seeing a YouTube video of the two of them dogfighting. So terrible to hear this.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...de-in-Air-Near-Florida-Airpark-510575011.html

Last edited:
We lost a gentleman and a friend today

Bob Woolley, who was one of the best pilots I have ever known, and my best friend, died today in the mid-air collision. That is the sum total of the information I have. All I know for sure is that a fine man and an excellent pilot is no longer with us. Fair skies forever, Bob! You are already missed.

I had a chance to meet Bob at SNF last year and really enjoyed talking with him. What a tragic loss.

So sorry to hear this guys -:( David must be beside himself now with grief, RIP to BW -:(

The prelim report is out. They were done flying and the other plane said it was headed back to airport. David was decending and the other plane was over taking from below. See the report for detais. Any word on David's condition.

On May 29, 2019, about 1045 eastern daylight time, an experimental amateur built Vans RV-4, N319RL, and a second, experimental amateur built Vans RV-4, N203DD, collided in midair about near Green Cove Springs, Florida. N319RL was destroyed and N203DD sustained substantial damage. The air transport pilot of N203DD was seriously injured and the commercial pilot of N319RL was fatally injured. Both airplanes were registered to and operated by the pilots under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as personal flights. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed and neither flight was operated on a flight plan. The local flights both originated from Haller Airpark (7FL4), Green Cove Springs, Florida, about 1030.

The pilots of both airplane were friends, and in a postaccident interview the pilot of N203DD reported that the purpose of the flights was for the pilots to perform maneuvers north of 7FL4, their home airport. He stated that both airplanes departed in formation and headed north of 7FL4. The pilot of N203DD, began to trail N319RL while checking the airspeed of his airplane. About 10 minutes after the completion of the maneuvers, the pilot of N203DD radioed the pilot of N319RL and said he was returning to the airport. The pilot of N203DD reported that did not receive a response and started a left turn in the opposite direction to head back towards the airport. As the pilot of N203DD descended through 2,000 ft. he suddenly saw N319RL pass under his airplane just before the collision. He said that they were so close he could see the pilot of N319RL, seconds before the collision. After the collision the pilot of N203DD looked back and could see N319RL falling to the ground. He said that after the collision "he knew his propeller was out of balance because the airplane began to vibrate violently." He knew he could not make it back to the airport so he conducted a forced landing in a cow pasture.

Last edited:
Back