Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 11-13-2022, 02:40 PM

Default Thoughts on RX8 Engine…

So I couldn’t sleep… not strange. So my mind wandered onto my o320 in the RV6A and drifted to the “strange that the engine is such an old design, wish it would just start and lean itself out, fuel injection would be nice, electronic ignition” debate started in my head. So I started tooling around and found RX8 Wankel engines. Less weight (talked to an importer, about 320lb without gearbox but still including heavy intake and exhaust and all car accessories that could be adjusted for flying or removed) , more power (again, he estimates 211HP), fuel injected, less vibration, electronic ignition that should self regulate and it burns regular fuel so it should be future proof against whatever they decide to do about leaded AVGAS.

I know it would mean a new cowling, figuring out how to get air through the radiator, and a new engine mount (and 1000 little things I’m not thinking of). Just kinda wanted to see if anyone had looked into it before and why you did or did not go through with it. I really see good potential on these engines and have seen the video of the guy who did the climb record to 10,000 in his Wankel RV8. What are people’s thoughts?
Old 11-13-2022, 02:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

The Wankel used to be pretty popular, but they have faded off a lot.

PSRU needs are a biggie, also exhaust on these engines is a LOT hotter than typical Lyclone.

Several folks have been flying behind them for a while, hopefully some will chime in and tell their stories.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-13-2022, 04:14 PM

Default Turbo help with exhaust temp?

My other dream is to add a turbocharger to the engine to get me up above the clouds (and breathing that pure oxygen, can’t really justify the cost when I’m on the ground… hehehe).

Would that help with the exhaust gas temp (eating up energy into motion) or would it just keep it in the compartment longer making it hotter?

Also read that the ceiling on my RV6A is 25,000? Not sure that my engine can even make it past 10,000 right now. Felt like it was losing power at 8,000 when I flew it up to NY (just bought it and then began upgrades so my data points are low. It was a hot, humid day too so not sure how that effects the power) and I’d like that extra power high up.

Thoughts on turbocharger?
Old 11-13-2022, 05:33 PM

You might take a look at this thread and contact the OP. I know he removed the rotary and went with a conventional engine but not sure why.
G
https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=108307
Old 11-13-2022, 05:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

https://www.kitplanes.com/a-permanen...2022%2F10%2F18

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-14-2022, 04:33 PM

I haven't followed the rotary world in a long time, but did Mazda ever fix the issues that were causing the RX8 motors to blow up with like 30k on them? My friend had one when it first came out and had a motor replaced at 25k under recall. I've got nothing against the idea, just maybe some concerns over that particular motor.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:55 AM

I had a Renesis engine built by Bruce Turrentine may years ago to put in my Cozy MKIV. Shortly there after, Real World Solutions closed up shop and no more support for their PSRU’s or engine control module. I sold it at a steep loss.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction/Sold 2021
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 11-15-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejer View Post
So I couldn’t sleep… not strange. So my mind wandered onto my o320 in the RV6A and drifted to the “strange that the engine is such an old design, wish it would just start and lean itself out, fuel injection would be nice, electronic ignition” debate started in my head.
I think you could get most of those things at far less time, effort, and expense by installing one of the various EFI packages on your O-320. There'd still be some work to do but you won't need to come up with an engine mount, gearbox, cooling solution, and more.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
I think you could get most of those things at far less time, effort, and expense by installing one of the various EFI packages on your O-320. There'd still be some work to do but you won't need to come up with an engine mount, gearbox, cooling solution, and more.
Agreed. Even though a bada$$ turbocharged Wankel would be really cool, modernizing your lycoming with electronic ignitions and electronic fuel injection would be much much easier. SDS and EFII sell kits that are easy to install and really do modernize these old technology air-cooled engines.
RV-8- IO-360, Hartzell C/S (Flying)
RV-7- Sold project
RV-14- Building
Old 11-16-2022, 11:29 AM

Default 915iS

Your requirements sound super close to a Rotax 915iS. Check out those numbers. It will give you electronic everything, Turbo charging…
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7buPHH99v

Last edited by thiggins : 11-16-2022 at 11:31 AM.