What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti Splat Cowl flaps performance

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I now have almost 1200 hours on my 10. The cowl is completely stock. I normally cruise LOP. I would like to raise my CHTs during level cruise, and improve my cooling a bit on climb out in the hot summer. I see several of you are building with the cowl flap kit, just wondering if anyone has a comparative data point and started with the stock vans provided louvers and later modified the cowl using the AS Cowl flap kit. Also, any speed difference noted if any?

On my IO-360 7A I do note about 20-30 degree difference from open to closed and when open I lose 3-4 knots. They have been installed since first flight and I never installed the stock louver kit.

Bill, why on earth would you want to raise your CHT's? I doubt they are anywhere near 200dF or less, and Lycoming publish a minimum well below 200.

A good RV10 setup will cruise LOP in the 310-345 range most days, and climb at 125 knots with 360-370dF ROP. If you cannot stay below 400 there are other issues that need addressing.

I would caution anyone applying a solution to a problem they do not have.

Just remembered, I have a client with a rocket. He installed these flaps to his cowls and achieved no change. Fixing a bunch of there things did.

Last edited:
+1 on Antisplat Cowl

I also have an IO-360 in a 7A, and my results are identical to the earlier poster. 20-30 degree difference on hot summer climb out. It has made ALL the difference for me. More time for watching other instruments and traffic, and less time with my eyes glued to the CHT's......Worked for me, YMMV.

I also have an IO-360 in a 7A, and my results are identical to the earlier poster. 20-30 degree difference on hot summer climb out. It has made ALL the difference for me. More time for watching other instruments and traffic, and less time with my eyes glued to the CHT's......Worked for me, YMMV.

7A's seem to have more issues for some reason. The 10's not so much.

My 10 will probably be dependent on the cowl flap I installed, because for now at least, I left the louvers out. We'll find out soon!

Back