What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Homebuilt Experimental to Cuba

It's already happened!

Sorry to pop everyone's bubble here, but I believe a Canadian homebuilt Seawind went into Varadero about 10 years ago. I will get details and report back.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A QB 85%

Sorry to pop everyone's bubble here, but I believe a Canadian homebuilt Seawind went into Varadero about 10 years ago. I will get details and report back.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A QB 85%

Cool, find info and let us know.

:cool:

First Homebuilt to Cuba - Loving's Love

The first homebuilt to fly to Cuba was Loving's Love WR-1, flown by Neil Loving, and was accomplished in December 1953. It was just one stop on a flight from Detroit to Kingston, Jamaica. Neil lost his lower legs in a glider accident during WWII, and later designed and personally built the airplane while standing and working with artificial legs. He recalled landing in Cuba and having some curious Cuban kids lift up his pantleg to see those artificial legs. Neil went on to work at Wright Aeronautical Labs doing research on high altitude turbulence to support the U-2 and SR-71 programs. He and his wife Claire were both very gracious and wonderful people.

The first homebuilt to fly to Cuba was Loving's Love WR-1, flown by Neil Loving, and was accomplished in December 1953. It was just one stop on a flight from Detroit to Kingston, Jamaica. Neil lost his lower legs in a glider accident during WWII, and later designed and personally built the airplane while standing and working with artificial legs. He recalled landing in Cuba and having some curious Cuban kids lift up his pantleg to see those artificial legs. Neil went on to work at Wright Aeronautical Labs doing research on high altitude turbulence to support the U-2 and SR-71 programs. He and his wife Claire were both very gracious and wonderful people.

Ok, but even before that Charles Lindburg landed the Spirit of St Louis which was technically an experimental prototype.

But in the modern homebuilt experimental kit era, has somebody else done it. An aircraft with a Special Airworthiness Cartificate, Homebuilt Experimental category?

:confused:

Neil Loving

The prototype Lovings Love is in the EAA Museum or possibly in storage at EAA. I have the EAA article on Neil's flight from Detroit to Kingston Jamaica in the Love. Neil sold plans but very few were ever built. There is a picture of an unidentified Love at Taildraggersinc.com.

Lovings Love

The late George Rattray of Beloit Wi built a beautiful example. There was one built in TX. A search using Lovings Love Aircraft will show pictures of several.

Well we did it. On Dec 4, 2015 N819PR a KIS4 Cruiser became, as far as we know, the 1st US registered Experimental Amateur Built aircraft to land in Cuba since the 1950's. After a lot of work and planning we did the trip despite hard IFR weather landing in low ceilings sequenced in between a Cirrus and a Lear jet. Today's return trip from Havana to Key West was almost anti-climatic.

It was a lot of work but worth it to open this door and getting the current Cuban "FAA" to issue a landing permit to a Experimental Amateur Built airplane. Now lets get some RV's down there.

Last edited:
Cool, find info and let us know.

From: http://www.seawind.net/testimonials.html (near the bottom of the page). Flying since 1996, and this was written in 1999, so that puts a pretty tight window on when his Cuba flight must have happened...

Dimitrios Mamais has been flying his Seawind Kit #36 since May, 1996.
July 8, 1999
To whom it may concern:
Regarding the elevator stop, it was done before the airplane had its first flight test. When I was asked at River Ranch Resort concerning this matter, it only meant in good faith and not to be politically controversial - which I dislike very much and want no part of. The only thing that I can say is that I have been working on airplanes all my life- and hold licenses an many types of aircraft such as the following: L101 1, 747, and A340 including all types of pistons and turbines. I am sure that there are people out there that before the Seawind came to market did not know what a cotter-pin was and all of a sudden they became aeronautical experts (most academics/instructors that are legitimate experts realize how little of their field of study they know anyway)! This is the reason that I am keeping a safe distance away from REAL EXPERTS.
Regarding our conversation about my trip to Bahamas and Cuba, it was the most exhilarating experience of flying my Seawind with my wife and Mends. First, my wife and I and my friend Bobby arrived in the sun and fun for the day and had a nice talk with all the Seawind people which I haw not missed any year since purchasing one. From there, we departed to Fort Lauderdale and stayed the night. In the morning, we flew to Nassau, cleared customs and filed for Havana, Cuba. The people were very friendly when they determined that we were from Canada. It took two hours purposely flying at low attitude so we could enjoy the scenery. On return to Nassau, my wife and my friend's wife met us and we also met another 10 airplanes from Toronto, Canada. In addition, we went to different islands every two days. I was the only amphibian and the funny part was that I would fly at fifty feet above sea level and they were really jealous - do you blame them? After all that's what the seawind is all about.
Furthermore, my wife was initially afraid of flying, however, after touring these Caribbean islands she has conquered her fear and is waiting impatiently for our next sojourn.
Lastly, my memories of these islands from flying above them were that I could not only see the turquoise water and vibrant green foliage but could hear these colours calling me to return to them and send me to similar scenarios of my native homeland Islands of Greece which is my next big trip.
Yours truly, Dimitrios Mamais

I know about this flight

This was the flight that I was referring to, in my earlier post. Dimitri is currently in Greece. I am trying to get in contact with him so that he can give us details. I think Galin has to be satisfied with the 1st US experimental to fly to Cuba title. Congratulations! I hope more US pilots pick Cuba as a destination. It is a wonderful country and Havana is spectacular. You may think you are in Europe.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A QB 85%

one more canuck??

seems the amphib guys like to go to Cuba.

March 18, 1999: I flew my Lake Buccaneer down to the Bahamas including Cuba on several trips. It was at that time that I realized that I needed more airspeed, more climbing power and more flight range. Elton Townsend suggested the "Seawind", so I immediately flew to Philadelphia with a friend, Paul Kovachik. As soon as I flew in the Seawind, I realized that it was a much more stable and much finer aircraft than what I had been flying, so I immediately bought one, (the Kwick Kit), new engine, new prop, etc. One year to the day of receiving my kit, we started the engine and taxied at Burlington. What a great looking aircraft. I love it.
Vincent Rossi, Mississauga, Ontario

...so pardon my ignorance, but has travel to Cuba EVER been prohibited for Canadians?....or our pilots? can't find an answer to that question anywhere.

...so pardon my ignorance, but has travel to Cuba EVER been prohibited for Canadians?....or our pilots? can't find an answer to that question anywhere.

The tourism prohibition is only for US citizens. Citizens of every other country have never be prohibited fom visiting Cuba for tourism.
This was the flight that I was referring to, in my earlier post. Dimitri is currently in Greece. I am trying to get in contact with him so that he can give us details. I think Galin has to be satisfied with the 1st US experimental to fly to Cuba title. Congratulations! I hope more US pilots pick Cuba as a destination. It is a wonderful country and Havana is spectacular. You may think you are in Europe.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A QB 85%
I will proudly take being the 1st US registered EAB aircraft into Havana. I will get around to doing a write up of the whole trip but I have to figure out my notes first. In the mean time here is a link to a photobucket album showing how bad the weather was when we arrived. We didn't have any lightning just torrential rain and a bumpy ride. We saw the runway lights at about 1,200ft and finally broke out about 800ft.

Approaching and landing into MUHA

Now lets fly some RV's there and really show what EABs have to offer.

Last edited:
.........anyone want to bet it will be an RV ??? :)

DING, DING, DING we have a winner!!!!!!

I verified with my contacts that an RV9 actually landed in Varadero, Cuba in October. THAT was the 1st US registered EAB into Cuba but I was the 1st EAB in to Havana.

:D

Last edited:
Here are photos of the trip to Cuba

FWIW: Obtaining permission from Cuban authorities to fly an EAB there it is now exactly the same as for any aircraft with a valid airworthiness certificate. That is one thing we recommended to them when we made our 1st visit back in September and they actually implemented it. Now if they would just stop raising their fees for GA.

Last edited:
Can you direct me to the list of requirements to go there?

Thanks,

I wrote about the basic requirements in my last trip report. Here is a link to the post. The first 3 pages cover the requirements and how to go about completing them. Once you read about the requirements you will probably have more questions so feel free to ask. This should get you started in the right direction.

Congrats!

Galin,

Great accomplishment. Very cool. Thank you for blazing the way for experimental aircraft in Cuba. Looking forward to the trip report and pictures.

Saludos,

Fernando

FWIW here is a link to a video my wife took while I had my hands full as we approached to land in to Havana.

Approaching to land into Havana

It is times like this is when you really need to trust your instruments, their installation and calibration. No room for the unknown.

Last edited:
Back