What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your day job!

Count me in with the cube dwellers. I do software work, but at least I get to work from home twice a week. So just imagine me bathed in the harsh light of an LCD monitor, and you've got a pretty good picture.

:)

Now retired, and loving it, but had prior life's as auto mechanic, machinist, audio technician, and fireman.

The fireman gig was my actual career ended up being, 37 years total, 29 paid full time.

Here is the only photo I have of me at my former work, just after retiring. Few years, and few pounds ago...................

Emergency Command Center dispatch supervisor.

Mikeatwork.JPG

Developer in colorado

I am a developer and have done projects in California, New Mexico, and now Colorado, both in Glenwood Springs and Aspen. I was going to post a pdf of my current project but I don't have it online anywhere. The first phase is 366 homes and I'm working on the design for the other half of the property. Maybe I will give in and open a photobucket account or something like that. It is fun seeing what others do for a living. I especially liked the golf job.

I am a developer and have done projects in California, New Mexico, and now Colorado, both in Glenwood Springs and Aspen. I was going to post a pdf of my current project but I don't have it online anywhere. The first phase is 366 homes and I'm working on the design for the other half of the property. Maybe I will give in and open a photobucket account or something like that. It is fun seeing what others do for a living. I especially liked the golf job.

Do you know Tom Fleming in Glenwood Springs? I went to high school with him. I think he was flying a C150 back then...

I sell B2B for a large health care/drug company. One task is to sell a liquid by-product from our antibiotic fermentation process. Sometimes I want to get a "hands on" view with my customers.

This is a "small problem" I had a number of years ago. I'm the one not in the rain suit:
1A.jpg

...and a view following "task" completition:
5A.jpg

Most days I work from home and this is the view from my home office window:
Golfview.jpg

Mark

Last edited:
I work for the Navy.

Here is a recent shot; My office is in the basement:

office_space___milton.jpg

And I dare say Brantel has the coolest job on here! All the Bush's Beans you can eat? My wife would divorce me...

Last edited:
That show was hillarious

Hi Noah. Okaaayy, we're going to have to move you to the end down there. Next to the broom closet. Sooorrrryy. Riiiiiight. Oh, and I going to need that stapler. Riiiiight.

Here is a recent shot; My office is in the basement:

QUOTE]

Tom Fleming

Do you know Tom Fleming in Glenwood Springs? I went to high school with him. I think he was flying a C150 back then...

I do not know him personally, but I do know who he is. He is pretty well known and respected in the business groups around here. I will have to make it a point to meet him and ask him if he is still flying that 150.

UAS Propulsion Engineer (geek)

I worked for GEAE designing thrust reversers and aerostructures directly out of college.

Then accepted a propulsion engineering position at an unmanned aircraft Systems company in 2004 doing engine development and integration. Now I have been relegated to managing the propulsion engineering group at said UAS company.

http://www.aaicorp.com/products/uas/air_vehicles.html

Bill Rogers
RV-7
N181DR

Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft

Pilot, aircraft sales manager, technical writer, website designer, LSA tech questions/customer service, airshow vendor...

733JHangar2.JPG

733JHartford.JPG

I love these airplanes. :)

IMG_6702.JPG

Oh yeah... can't forget air-to-air photographer. :D
IMG_8411.JPG

Aaahh!

Well, since your step son worked on his uncles airplane (built most of my wings), I figured you wouldn't need a name :) I will update my profile,,, point taken.

The good doctor Robert Gatliff...the location on your page is also Savannah...a curve ball dude:)

Have a great '012,

Air Conditioning contractor by day.
Residential and Commercial but this is the best photo I have.
This isn't me, I am behind the camera but this is what we do.
QMS.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Truck.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
I am an electrical automation engineer that works for Bush Brothers.

Here at the Chestnut Hill, TN plant I hold responsibility for all electrical, automation, process control and batching systems.

I really enjoy my job and the company I work for. Working here is a privilege and a Godsend for me and my family.

Do you have any room there for a middle-aged 1979 UTK EE graduate who'd like to finish out the last 10 years of his career closer to his daughters in Knoxville and Chattanooga?

It's not glamorous.....

Wealth Management Advisor for a large Brokerage Firm in Dallas, TX.

And no "201k" jokes please...I hear them every day.

RE: Fun !!!!

Great thread and yes it is fun to put a face to contributors to VAF......

I am old retired High School Chemistry Teacher that is now:

I work for my wife (updating our house)

egcz9d.jpg

and being an airport bum working on a Breezy Project......

t5g0vt.jpg

2cwsh0y.jpg

New Job

I had a 30 year career in IT as a computer engineer for a DOD agency. The last 12 years or so I ran our High Performance Computing Program. I retired in 2010.

Here is a fairly recent photo of me doing my current day (and night, and weekends) job. ;) I swear I'm going to get this thing finished . . . . . . . . . .

lbN5sIY3pOYeigr1Uu9KSFWwVEzvzVn4GUrlkegP9i-Dt0yPj7PGFtjagQGC90JGLGDhHAwdZU-ZNd-Rh57rmUps4wzzWpIZaTXTNcj_mPAFjwJ9iH_RM_G4ObdWAylHFrdkwY5j1et9Z1bTMZEUvltYx-zYRfz0Ff2ivlW33pUfUKrBVpaxHPaF-iAlpqVMfYSMx80KcXI0pKDNFVUMdGydvpYA6L63V9i46PVeKc7VkIWkgZtpBmrNj6TCEyeG-PPmpw3ACMMVUjkVMuGFCParfN04mmkbVjr4YAXKLowwnzWx9Adbt-JdeN_gJx1ekb6MuxfynrYiudbgyU6qlsETis66WyP2ZjYeF7vO1TS2gm68pKAwJjvvpz4nM8dXTObnOhhygx9aDeT_1uuvU8Svnp0tu6Glj-VOcBB7JKRvByjw0qUeOCC-VcppfAUahBkfccA2kWsqmW2cBu34kgXPALLoFvQB1B07Xl03f2kmLpQiN8DR63acLm3hz_NtMmPmeQZ_okO7ZQ6iYI93zeFdpHjfS9d9d-FTfgkD-97EgFn8Whg-n9x3lqSo3yBpicd5Y3Yq1cB3K86qWdxXoh76-9zv6gKT9O2vPVhakyaQYvQhJBTSE-00QGFpT2JYPqz6JOvUsuL0kwfcCqlM1TFeEMBP9XmL05Z9w7eA7ydvO7CEFqq20SUNsO5Wba6qgCR-47qgL1f2hql-L9hMei49Vw=w800-h599

Last edited:
Did you notice?

Paul Dye's 230,000 lb glider, arguably the most complicated flying machine on earth, or space, has no round steam gauges.

The other airline cockpit on here doesn't either.

Times are a changin',

Best,

Pilot!

I went from flying one of these (McDonnell Douglas RF-4(C)
rf4c0004bm91400.jpg
to flying one of these...
1180902M.jpg

(Here I am with my real boss...
img0230ys.jpg

with a short (15 year) interim career as an electrical engineer in the disk drive industry. All the jobs were great, but the first and last ones were (are) best.

David

Navy

Started as Enlisted steam plant mechanic on nuclear submarines (Me on left),

b85to2.jpg

now flying ANTI-submarine helicopters.
2liy8lt.jpg

358rn2f.jpg

Future....?

After seeing what all you folks do, I feel like Billy Crystal in the classroom scene from City Slickers. If you haven't seen it, you must. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVo9Jiuiqxw

Anyway, I was a Geophysicist in oil and gas exploration for 12 years before a career change to Optometry for past 12 years.

Last edited:
day job(s)

President-Founder Calgary Pilot Supply Ltd.
Real estate rentals, Maui :) Airdrie Ab.:(
Surfer (VAF)
7A builder
Piper Turbo Seminole investor-pilot (poor investment) Fun to fly though.
previous:
Flight Instructor
Bush Pilot
Commuter airline Captain

2lw6qsj.jpg

2058pdd.jpg

2hnqtc8.jpg

2ikbjt1.jpg

Last edited:
Airplanes

I work with a floatplane company in northern Canada. Not currently flying right now.
I stole all these pictures off various websites, but it's a few aircraft from the fleet.
1543TB2_C-GEWP_Doug%20Webber_N%20Knife%20Lake_12042007_565.jpg

1543TB2_C-GEWP_Dave%20Schellenberg_062008_565.jpg

029.JPG

1589_C-FYMV_Scott_Stamp_01_565.jpg

I just play games....

After USAF, Northrop Grumman, some consulting in the high-tech industry, then five years at Microsoft IT, I'm actually glad to say that I'm lucky enough to play games for a living with Microsoft Studios (game platform content production), specifically as a Program Manager for MS Flight. (http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/)

I work for a large Swiss bank based in Zurich. I support foreign exchange traders in a number of Java based applications that manage risk and position and that can also initial trades. A lot of trades are done automatically when the matching discovers an acceptable trade that meets both parties requirements and the trade is booked totally automatically without any human intervention. In the case of automatic trades, there are a number of very secure safeguards in place to make sure that trading does not go into runaway and the bank can turn off automatic trading at any time When you look at the rolling ledger of trades booked there is at least a trade every second of the day ranging in amounts say from $5000 up to $100,000,000 or more. If a trader knows he has a large trade in the offing we are given the heads up and we can make sure all parameters are correct when the trade is booked.

A very important day of each month is when the US Non Farm Paroll statistics are released on the first Friday of every month. Our system is monitored to make sure that all parameters are within limits. As soon as the figure is announced the volume level amongst the traders rises 10 times if not more, the number of trades flowing dramatically increases and the system load rises dramatically. All our eyes are on various parameters to make sure NOTHING goes wrong. Things do go wrong and I remember we lost a key server just before one NFP announcement with the result that no trading was happening. Panic! We were like blue arsed flies, but there was not much we could do because we had missed a single point of failure in our system and that single point decided to go on vacation at that particular time.

Most of the guys I work with are in there thirties. Some of the wizz traders are in their early twenties. I am 60 in February and I get on very well with all our traders although there are moments.

I would not change my job I love the buzz of the trade floor.

Sorry guys no pictures! Verboten! But normally each trader has about six flat screens in front of him giving market view and analysis info and areas to carry the various trading applications. I myself sit at a workstation with four screens. VAF is usually lurking in a browser somewhere on my workstation.

Tony

Here is a photo of me enjoying a weissbier taken in 2010. I have recently lost just over 20 Kilos, that's about 45 lbs. I would not recommend my diet plan:

Beers.jpg

My desk is boring but...

I get to work on some pretty cool stuff. My primary job entails integrating Garmin Flight Decks (G500, G1000, G2000 etc.) into aircraft. I am currently working on both TC and STC projects. Occasionally they let me work on the experimental systems (G3X) :D.

cockpit800x600.jpg

Legally Cutting people

You brake it, i fix it. I am a general surgeon. I am cutting people during the day and aluminum at night. Rv-10 flying and a rv-7a project that will begin in few week. Rv is a expansive disease that can't be cure!!

It's just a Dam job. But converting H2O into electricity keeps all you websurfers happy.
Here's the crew after a big waterway repair. I'm above the blade at 9 O'clock. On top of the runner is the my friend Mike(RV-4 project finishing)

AM2009_Pix023.jpg

It's just a Dam job. But converting H2O into electricity keeps all you websurfers happy.
Here's the crew after a big waterway repair. I'm above the blade at 9 O'clock. On top of the runner is the my friend Mike(RV-4 project finishing)

AM2009_Pix023.jpg

Brian,

Nice pic and I was thinking the safety wire for the hub is
about the size of a coat hanger.:eek:

Brian,

Nice pic and I was thinking the safety wire for the hub is
about the size of a coat hanger.:eek:

Brian,
Did you miss safetying the bolt at 5-oclock, or were you just not yet done when the photo was taken?;)

PS: My daughter got on with TVA's River Management section as a Water Resources Engineer last year. When she told me it was just a dam job, I told her I see that joke every day...:D

I'm a Special Agent with the U.S. State Department. I'm currently in Iraq...for another 3 days. I do everything from protect U.S. and foreign dignitaries in war zones to run security programs at Embassies all over the world. Or yesterday's challenge of babysitting a Russian and Ukrainian IL-76 crew for 14 hrs.

From a few years ago in Iraq
7830_1186479912434_1541380900_494937_361043_n.jpg

My office tends to look like this...it's in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. This is a lovely airport, 1/3 of the runway is unusable and covered in lava, and the wreckage of a crashed 707 on the other end makes for nice welcome.
229787_1043498937999_1541380900_121173_7415_n.jpg

-Chris

Brian,
Did you miss safetying the bolt at 5-oclock, or were you just not yet done when the photo was taken?;)

not done yet. the access hatch to the waterway is right below the nosecone endplate. We remove one bolt and install a lifting eye to help rig parts in and out.

Wow, this thread really took off.

Here's my last flight with my fleet squadron returning from an Afghanistan mission:

EH33582x.jpg

I think Paul takes the record for ground speed....

photo1.jpg

What I'm currently doing:

patch-014-desert.png

Paul Dye's 230,000 lb glider, arguably the most complicated flying machine on earth, or space, has no round steam gauges.

The other airline cockpit on here doesn't either.

Times are a changin',

Best,

Hey Pierre, some airliners still have steam gauges. I'm flying the Diesel-9 for another month before being forced to glass. It was fun while it lasted.;)

DC9Cockpit.jpg

ry400.jpg

Tooling engineer to modify and repair nuclear reactors. I'm the idiot on the left standing around picking up some zoomies.
Actually this plant was so clean, we accused the health physics people of giving us dosimeters that didn't work.

DSC00618P.jpg

slide4.jpg

26 years self employed, used car and commercial truck dealer ;)

[ed. I can vouch for Dan. Bought this from him. dr]

Last edited:
Waiting for my recall to bigger and better things but this isn't a bad gig and even does some good for humanity (and sure as heck beats my previous interim job game testing at Microsoft).

alnwpilotsandclare60.jpg

111111162211.jpg

111111162343.jpg

060411083945.jpg

082711090310.jpg

...and when the stars align I do this in the summers:

img3967c.jpg

overbc.jpg

Last edited:
I've suddenly come to the conclusion that my life is exactly what I feared all this time...

Boring.

I am now completely depressed...thanks. ;)

I Make Babies!

IMG_20120101_154652.jpg

Well, help anyways......I design, implement, and operate risk-based infertility programs for major payer organizations.

Translated, that means I spend hours a day arguing with legal, regulatory, marketing, operations, finance, and providers.

How I got here with a degree in Aerospace Engineering, I'll never really know.......

Back