What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New SB issued 6 May 2016 (SB16-03-28)

RV10, no cracks

Checked mine, RV-10, 4.5 years, 880 hours, no cracks. Also, I was able to inspect thoroughly the upper aileron bracket without removing the aileron or cutting away the aileron gap fairing...by lowering the flaps to full, raising the aileron to the stop, and peeking into the top bracket with my Chinese 90 degree dental usb cam. Sweet!

RV-8A 69 hours - no cracks

2014 RV-8A QB wings with 69 hours tach time. Inspection 7/18/2016 showed no cracks. :)

1996 RV-4 cracks found

Not my plane but posting as a data point for a friend who is not active on the list.

He inspected his 1996 RV-4 and found cracks in both wings. I'm not sure of the airframe total time but probably somewhere around 1000 hours. It's a rare flight that doesn't contain loops and rolls and more :D.

No cracks

RV-8
565 hrs, light Acro, paved runways.
Used my wife's selfie stick with IPhone - got great pics.

No cracks found

Bruce Edwards
N-391FM
RV-8

IMG_7662-M.jpg

Nothing to see here. Move along. (RV-9A with 252 hours)

Nice picture! Mine is a quick build so came with aileron brackets already assembled and attached. Unlike this picture, my rivet heads are on the aft side of the spar with rivets going into the brackets towards the leading edge. No cracks noted on either side though. Fifi has 1140 hours, finished in Mar 05 and routinely doing 3 and 4g aerobatics with her.

Last edited:
I am a little torn on how one would accomplish this now and not interfering with riveting the bottom skin and perhaps the inboard most aileron gap fairing rivet in the center of the spar.

I believe one could simply use pulled rivets here...but if someone could help met get the "order of operations" figured out before I get there...I'd be grateful.

Having the same issue as I finish up my first wing. Anyone have a recommendation on using blind rivets in these locations mentioned above?

Back