What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It's The Little Things

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I admit it, it's dumb what gets me excited these days. I don't have a completed airplane part and haven't even placed the first order! But step one has been to start working on the "shop" so the rest can become a reality. I'm getting close to being ready for the tail kit, and just that knowledge makes me giddy.

- Built EAA benches - two 3x4 for work space (and the right height to also serve as an outfeed table for the table saw) and 1 2x4 with the leftover material for benchtop tools. Attached casters that can lift off the ground easily.

- Didn't need a bigger compressor, but absolutely stole an 80 gallon 2 stage beast off of craigslist, so my old compressor took a hike. Plumbed it with enough copper line to cool the air and get the water vapor to drop out before it hits the filters and hoses. Working great!

- Have a drill press and grinder already. Looking for a craigslist deal on a small bandsaw and belt/disc sander. No reason to go new on those things since I want small vs longterm quality. Just not enough real estate to put tools in that I'll likely use for other purposes after the plane is built.

So no, nothing to really be excited about, yet I am. My wife is pretty sure I'm slightly unstable.

ACtC-3ccbdMjRj_x4VQii7_BH9_57rFfPuhmAaevjvCZONuz52j0Y5IoWC2rwRoaGEWTSNwhffjzPqhGwN6jtB15HOyyX9KAkOv-E3xRSVy48UvLXasXh5zBaqyauaVIjJtZa0EEGRJ8XrrRATJcyI_IN3Zh=w1319-h625-no

Shop

I admit it, it's dumb what gets me excited these days. I don't have a completed airplane part and haven't even placed the first order! But step one has been to start working on the "shop" so the rest can become a reality. I'm getting close to being ready for the tail kit, and just that knowledge makes me giddy.

- Built EAA benches - two 3x4 for work space (and the right height to also serve as an outfeed table for the table saw) and 1 2x4 with the leftover material for benchtop tools. Attached casters that can lift off the ground easily.

- Didn't need a bigger compressor, but absolutely stole an 80 gallon 2 stage beast off of craigslist, so my old compressor took a hike. Plumbed it with enough copper line to cool the air and get the water vapor to drop out before it hits the filters and hoses. Working great!

- Have a drill press and grinder already. Looking for a craigslist deal on a small bandsaw and belt/disc sander. No reason to go new on those things since I want small vs longterm quality. Just not enough real estate to put tools in that I'll likely use for other purposes after the plane is built.

So no, nothing to really be excited about, yet I am. My wife is pretty sure I'm slightly unstable.

That's a nice shop Brandon. Great start.
Start watching VAF Classifieds like a hawk. You might get lucky and procure some used tools cheap. The practice kits are cheap and a Mentor would be happy to show you the ropes. Enjoy the build.

Looks like a nice set up. You can’t be too organized or have too much storage. Once you get building the momentum will grow. Just make sure you order your next kit well ahead of time or be prepared to have weeks or months of downtime.

Keith

That is a great shop. Your compressed air set-up is similar to mine. I have an line-oiler for the tools that like oil and a filtered, dry air line for tools that like clean dry air. Then different air hoses for each, conveniently colour coded, blue lines are oiled, orange is dry.

Classifieds often have empennage and wing kits available. Keep an eye out for those as well.

Just make sure you order your next kit well ahead of time or be prepared to have weeks or months of downtime.

Keith

Oops, the last I checked, 9A tail kits were in stock, so I was hanging off on ordering until I was set up and ready. After your post, I looked and now the lead time is 4 months for the tail! Lesson learned. I placed the order! Now I just have to be a little patient. I guess I should think about ordering the wing kit as soon as I receive the tail.

Trust me on this....

Get the airfoil practice kit. It is such a great learning tool. The tool kit from Cleaveland is worth every penny and definitely make sure you can regulate your air pressure down to your rivet gun, 35-50psi for bucking. Welcome to the fun...

Back