What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planned QB, but with delays should I go SB?

DavidP2020

Well Known Member
I just ordered my RV-10 Emp kit a few days ago, as well as QB wings & fuselage. Emp kit should arrive appx 4 months. As everyone knows, QB kits are undetermined delay. I have a lot of time off right now, so expect to complete the Emp in appx 2-3 months after it arrives.

I'm ok "only" building 51% of the airplane by using QB parts and I'd like to complete the airplane as quickly as possible. I'm also willing to pay for the QB. But with an undetermined delay for QB, I'm debating going SB on either wings or fuselage.

As a reference, right now lead times for SB wings are 6 months and SB fuse is 7 months.

Looking for opinions on whether I should swap one QB for SB, and if so, which one (fuse or wings) and why?

Last edited:
Opinion... If you really think you'll be on pace for it, order the SB fuselage and the QB wings. You could even delay the wings and order the finish kit next after the fuselage. The real mountain of work in the -10 is in the fuselage, finish kit, and systems, so why not get on with that while you're waiting on the wings?

Also, if you defer the wings, that means you'll have more available shop/storage space until they arrive.

Opinion... If you really think you'll be on pace for it, order the SB fuselage and the QB wings. You could even delay the wings and order the finish kit next after the fuselage. The real mountain of work in the -10 is in the fuselage, finish kit, and systems, so why not get on with that while you're waiting on the wings?

Also, if you defer the wings, that means you'll have more available shop/storage space until they arrive.

Just to clarify, when you say "The real mountain of work in the -10 is in the fuselage, finish kit, and systems...", I assume you mean that regardless of SB or QB, most of the work is in those parts. Is that right?

I cant answer which would be best but can offer some ideas for you to consider.

1. There is a crapload of work in building the fuselage. It is disappointing they cant even give you a date for the qb and 7 months for sb. Ugg. I would say keep your eyes open for a kit someone has that they are stalled on but they are snapped up so fast I wouldnt count on it. Maybe advertise to see if anyone would consider selling?

2. The wings are in my opinion easier to build that the fuselage. I would get those ordered asap sb so you have something to work on when you finish the EMP kit.

3. There is a LOT of work building these planes. It was hard for me to stay motivated and with some project required relocations it took me about 9 years to finish. There are other guys that will build your fuselage or wings. Maybe they have some they are working on now?

Good luck however you go. I just saw a nice 10 just sold for about $325k so you wont be working for free!

David - I just noticed this was you and you are in Howell. Im still in Williamston and hope to have my 9A out here this summer.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, when you say "The real mountain of work in the -10 is in the fuselage, finish kit, and systems...", I assume you mean that regardless of SB or QB, most of the work is in those parts. Is that right?

Yes. The wings are simple and repetitive. The fuse, finish kit, and systems require a lifetime in the -10.

I cant answer which would be best but can offer some ideas for you to consider.

1. There is a crapload of work in building the fuselage. It is disappointing they cant even give you a date for the qb and 7 months for sb. Ugg. I would say keep your eyes open for a kit someone has that they are stalled on but they are snapped up so fast I wouldnt count on it. Maybe advertise to see if anyone would consider selling?

2. The wings are in my opinion easier to build that the fuselage. I would get those ordered asap sb so you have something to work on when you finish the EMP kit.

3. There is a LOT of work building these planes. It was hard for me to stay motivated and with some project required relocations it took me about 9 years to finish. There are other guys that will build your fuselage or wings. Maybe they have some they are working on now?

Good luck however you go. I just saw a nice 10 just sold for about $325k so you wont be working for free!

David - I just noticed this was you and you are in Howell. Im still in Williamston and hope to have my 9A out here this summer.

1. It would be nice to be able to get all the kits quickly, but I guess they have a perfect storm of COVID and many more orders, so we’ll just have to find the most efficient way to work with the timeline we have. I’m using the time now to get the tools and workshop set up.

2. Good info on the wings. That’s the type of info I need to decide which avenue to take. Thanks!

3. I hope to not have to move mid-build, so that should help. It’s my first build, so hopefully I’ll be able to keep the motivation going. I visited a -10 in progress this weekend and was happy to see one coming along at a good clip.

I’d like to see your plane sometime!

A little more food for thought. I ordered a SB fuselage and QB wings. I still work full time, but working most evenings and on the weekends, I had the SB fuselage to QB stage in about 4 months.... I thought I would be flying in no time! Then it was time to fit the cabin top, doors and windows. 12 months later and they are just about complete.... and I haven't even looked at the QB wings!

If I was in your shoes and money wasn't a limit, I think I would order the SB fuselage, finish kit and QB wings. Even if the QB wings are 12 months out, I would bet pretty good money that you will be still messing with the fuselage/finish kit when the wings arrive.

I have an empennage kit on order with delivery hopefully in the next few weeks. With the increased lead times I decided to order the QB wings and SB fuselage. Looking at the plans the fuselage looks more “interesting”. I figure by the time the wings arrive, I’ll be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 with the fuselage (assuming something like 12 - 18 months of lead time), but that’s mostly guessing at this point. No actual experience yet, but hopefully a helpful datapoint from someone else in a similar position.

Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas!

I think I'm going to swap to SB fuselage and keep the QB wings for now. That will keep the build going when the Emp is done.

I think that's a great plan, like mentioned above.

I got both the QB wings and QB fuse and to be honest I spent a relatively short amount of time finishing out the wings compared to all the work required on the fuse and finish kits.
So much so, my wings have sat untouched for a couple of years to get to the point of hanging the engine (a couple more months out for me).

So if I were in your shoes, that's exactly the route I would go.

SB fuselage

I finished my empennage in a couple of months, and had to wait for the SB fuselage to arrive. I started the SB fuse 6 months ago, and am just about to the point where I can't move on until I get the next kit. My finishing kit is due in May, and my QB wings were initially scheduled for June delivery, but now I have no idea when they will arrive. It was an 8 month lead time when I initially ordered them 5 months ago. I really enjoyed building the SB fuselage, so I would definitely recommend that.

Thanks Matt! I'm hoping to take 2-3 months on the empennage. Theoretically, that's when the SB fuselage will show up. Good to hear you enjoyed the SB fuselage, since that's my new plan!

Back